Should spa spillover return line be closed when pump is off?

Nickel

Feb 10, 2022
Southern California
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My spa drains to pool level when the spillover valve is open when the pump is off. Is this normal? Can someone explain why it would drain from a return line? (The regular pool return line also has a spa return that fills the spa but that doesn't drain the spa when the pump is off.)
Thanks!

When in spillover mode, the pool suction line is connected to the spa return line (through the pump) so the spa siphons back into the pool when the pump is off since the water level is higher than the pool. To prevent this, the spa return lines should have a check valve.

When in spillover mode, the pool suction line is connected to the spa return line (through the pump) so the spa siphons back into the pool when the pump is off since the water level is higher than the pool. To prevent this, the spa return lines should have a check valve.
That makes sense. I'll add a check valve into the system. (It doesn't have one now. Only a check valve at the pump.)
EDIT: Although I still don't understand why the pool return line that has a diverter to the spa return doesn't drain the pool. Maybe it's because it's physically lower in the system or there's a check valve I've missed?
Thanks!

Where is that check valve. If it is right after the pump or right after the filter, it should still prevent backflow so it may not be operating properly. Can you post some pictures?

Nick,

It would be odd not to have a check valve in the spa return line that feeds the spillover.

Please show us some pics of your equipment pad, as some check valves do not really look like check valves that we see today.

Thanks,

Jim R.

That makes sense. I'll add a check valve into the system. (It doesn't have one now. Only a check valve at the pump.)
EDIT: Although I still don't understand why the pool return line that has a diverter to the spa return doesn't drain the pool. Maybe it's because it's physically lower in the system or there's a check valve I've missed?
Thanks!
Because the spa is higher than the pool, it will always drain from spa to pool (high to low) if there is no check valve or if you a have valve, it failed.

Where is that check valve. If it is right after the pump or right after the filter, it should still prevent backflow so it may not be operating properly. Can you post some pictures?
Here are some pics of my system. The first two photos are the return lines coming from the filter. The last pic is the check valve between the pump and the d/e filter. (The heater is busted and not plumbed in any more.) Thanks.

EDIT: I've ordered a new flapper to rebuild the check valve, hoping that would fix the issue. But it still puzzles me why the spillover drains but not the spa return.)

Attachments

• IMG_9799.JPG
    IMG_9799.JPG
    469.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_9800.JPG
    IMG_9800.JPG
    466.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_9801.JPG
    IMG_9801.JPG
    645.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
There is a check valve after the pump and that should prevent backflow through the pump. However, it also looks like you have a bypass check valve for the spillover as well and it is probably that one that has failed. That connects the pool return with the spa return.

img_9799-jpg.504276

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There is a check valve after the pump and that should prevent backflow through the pump. However, it also looks like you have a bypass check valve for the spillover as well and it is probably that one that has failed. That connects the pool return with the spa return.

img_9799-jpg.504276
Thanks Mark! I'll replace that. Appreciate the help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.