Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair iChlor 30
Hi,
3 months ago my pool was re-plasterd (Stonescapes Mini Pebble). Two days ago water become kind fo murky, colloidal. I check water chemistry:
TA -80
ph - 7.8
CH - 400
CYA - 70-80
FC - 3.5
Is it time to slam the pool? Is it a problem with algae?
If I need to SLAM, should i keep the salt cell running or just filter with the salt cell off?
Thank you!

Do this to diagnose your issue, be sure to follow all 5 steps.
Overnight Chlorine Loss Test
Keep your FC in the target range or above, flirting at the minimum levels creates issues. FC/CYA Levels
Thank you! I will do it tonight.
My SWG is working at 60% for 8 hours. At the end of the day i have around 3-3.5. Should i increase SWG % fo increase time? Or both? is it OK to run SWG at 100% every day? It was ok for a month (SWG was installed a month ago) so, I'm not sure what's happened.

At the end of the day i have around 3-3.5
That’s flirting with minimum, which while technically is ok, is really never ok if you need any wiggle room. Unexpected events happen and things can go south quick. Or expected life events pull you from pool care that evening. It is my hardcore belief to always leave room for error while knowing and respecting the TFP recommended levels. I recommend a days worth of extra FC, but feel free to tweak that to your current schedule/needs etc.
it OK to run SWG at 100%
always ok. They don’t ‘work harder’ or care. They are built and rated for 24/7 use. Buying a larger unit just means you have options to run it less while creating the same FC, thereby extending the life of the hours based unit.
Should i increase SWG % fo increase time? Or both?
Either way accomplished the same result. I ran my pump 24/7 so I only had to adjust the SWG.

That’s flirting with minimum, which while technically is ok, is really never ok if you need any wiggle room. Unexpected events happen and things can go south quick. Or expected life events pull you from pool care that evening. It is my hardcore belief to always leave room for error while knowing and respecting the TFP recommended levels. I recommend a days worth of extra FC, but feel free to tweak that to your current schedule/needs etc.

always ok. They don’t ‘work harder’ or care. They are built and rated for 24/7 use. Buying a larger unit just means you have options to run it less while creating the same FC, thereby extending the life of the hours based unit.

Either way accomplished the same result. I ran my pump 24/7 so I only had to adjust the SWG.
Thank you! That' very helpful.

Reactions: newdude
I think I need more help / advices about my cloudy pool water. I did SLAM the pool, kept FC level at 23-24 for over 48 hours. The CC is 0 or definitely less than 0.5, the overnight loos is around 1-2 but the water is still cloudy. I found an article about adding small amount DE to a sand filter. I did that too (I added 1-2 cups of DE, small amount at the time) but I don't see any improvement. What else can be done? Am I doing something wrong? Never had that problem before.

Slightly cloudy / hazy is usually dead algae that needs to be filtered. It can take a week or more if the system isn’t ‘robust’ as Marty likes to say.

You maintain the SLAM until all 3 criteria pass. You are failing # 1 with unclear water and half failing # 2 with a OCLT loss over 1 at times. So you’ve made progress, but there is more to do.

DE certainly helps speed along the trapping of dead stuffs. Just pay close attention to the psi.

Slightly cloudy / hazy is usually dead algae that needs to be filtered. It can take a week or more if the system isn’t ‘robust’ as Marty likes to say.

You maintain the SLAM until all 3 criteria pass. You are failing # 1 with unclear water and half failing # 2 with a OCLT loss over 1 at times. So you’ve made progress, but there is more to do.

DE certainly helps speed along the trapping of dead stuffs. Just pay close attention to the psi.
a week?! wow I though it will go much faster. My poor dogs want to cool down in the pool so badly :) . We still have over 100F. Ok, I will keep going.

I wouldn't call it "slightly", it's rather milky. Should I backwash the filter more often e.g. every day? It's not good for the filter to do backwash that often, is it?

a week?! wow I though it will go much faster. My poor dogs want to cool down in the pool so badly
It takes what it takes and not a moment sooner. Swimming is safe chemical wise up to and including SLAM levels. For swimmer safety though, you need to see the bottom.
wouldn't call it "slightly", it's rather milky
Then you aren’t even close. :( But that’s ok. You have us to help. It just takes time and effort. Keep the FC up as many times a day as you can. Every 2 hours will make it the quickest, but most of us work too, and have kids or other responsibilities. So do the best you can. Brush and vac daily. Again, more will not hurt if you have the time.
Should I backwash the filter more often e.g
Backwash at + 25% psi. You can do it more often but it’s just a waste of water. If you think about it, a slightly dirty filter cleans better than a clean filter as the crud stops not crud. That’s EXACTLY what adding DE does. It fills the gaps in between the sand particles and then traps smaller gunk.

It takes what it takes and not a moment sooner. Swimming is safe chemical wise up to and including SLAM levels. For swimmer safety though, you need to see the bottom.

Then you aren’t even close. :( But that’s ok. You have us to help. It just takes time and effort. Keep the FC up as many times a day as you can. Every 2 hours will make it the quickest, but most of us work too, and have kids or other responsibilities. So do the best you can. Brush and vac daily. Again, more will not hurt if you have the time.

Backwash at + 25% psi. You can do it more often but it’s just a waste of water. If you think about it, a slightly dirty filter cleans better than a clean filter as the crud stops not crud. That’s EXACTLY what adding DE does. It fills the gaps in between the sand particles and then traps smaller gunk.
Thank you! I just need to explain to my dogs :) right now they hate me.

• Sad
Reactions: newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.