Should I replace the cleaner pump?

Apr 7, 2015
Katy, TX
Hi guys! Hope everyone is doing well. So I'm in TX and made it through the winter storm. However, my cleaner pump didn't. The housing cracked. I called my pool guy to tell him what happened. I told him that I do not need the cleaner pump as I have a robot. So he basically took the cleaner pump out of circulation. He place a couple of caps and was done.

I asked him if the pipes (going to and from the cleaner pump) will be a problem if no water runs through it. He said it would be fine. Do you guys agree?

I would be hesitant about the line to the pool. Unless you plan to plug that line at the pool. Why not hook them together and use as another return?

So I'm not trying to argue with you. I am truly grateful for everyone who has helped me through my journey as a pool owner. I just wanted to tell you what the pool guy said and use that for discussion. He stated algae will not grow in the line because algae needs sunlight to grow.

My thought would have been to remove the pump and connect the 2 pipe ends together. The suction to the booster pump is connected to your return line so you just keep the circulation through it all by connecting them together.

Last year one of my pools was opened by non other then the op. They failed to tell me that one return plug was too tight and remained plugged till I was involved. The pool was pristine but as soon as I got the plug out the stagnant water in the line turned the complete pool to a green mess.

Reactions: HermanTX

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you had a plug in the return fitting, that stayed sealed to never be opened again, The swampy pipe water would never bother you.

Until last week I would have never mentioned possible freezing and breaking of the pipe. This week I have a whole new outlook on that.

I would blow it out, use a couple gallons of antifreeze because it will condensate eventually and plug it.

Last edited:
HA! I left the cap on my umbrella stand for a few months and when I finally took it off it made the pool smell like a swamp for like 2 hours. You do not want a stagnant source of water. Route the cleaner return into your system and use it. You can never have too much return water.

Reactions: HermanTX
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.