Should I put mesh safety cover on after opening

Oct 11, 2023
Calverton, NY
Hi, this is my first time opening my pool after closing it my self. So, this is probably a basic question but I didn’t really find an answer.

open the pool last week to avoid the green pool. Water temp is hovering around 60. Now that it’s opened, I’m running into a dilemma, pollen season is coming and I will not use the pool until Memorial Day. Should I put the pool cover back on to avoid vacuuming regularly? I have a cartridge filter, which will likely need lots of cleaning due to pollen. Will keeping the cover on make the pool water hotter, hence more likely for algae growth? I can’t turn on my salt water generator yet because temp is too low. If the cover increase water temp, does it mean I can use the SWG sooner? That’ll allow me to not add chlorine.

Thanks

No issues with adding the safety cover back on if you wish. A number of members perform a “soft open” and leave their cover in place for similar purposes. The cover will help in increasing water temp but it’s a crapshoot if it will warm enough for your SWG to work. You can always just pop a corner of the cover by a return and add liquid with the pump running to chlorinate your pool until the water warms enough for the SWG.

Part of soft opening is maintaining proper chemistry. As Lake Placid says, you can disconnect a corner of the cover, grab a water sample to test and then make adjustments based on the tests. I don't worry all that much about the chemistry other than FC. I will add some bleach if the FC is low.

You have a 400 sq ft filter. This was my 500s after each spring with 80 oaks. The PSI wasn't needing cleaning yet, I just did because I knew they were filthy.

Screenshot_20240428_213220_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20240428_213226_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20240428_213236_Gallery.jpg

Your short filter cycles are an algae problem. 400s can hold a TON of crud.

With the cover off, my SWG came on a couple weeks ago not too far from you.

• Wow
Reactions: JamesW