Gold Supporter
May 10, 2018
Wimberley Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My CYA is currently 55. This was what I was left with after the pool start up technician finished taking care of the new plaster for the first two months.

My issue is, according to this chart from pool school at a 55 CYA, I should keep the chlorine between 5-7.
the daily chlorine tester that comes with the TF-100 kit only reads from .5 to 5

Should I leave the CYA at 55 or start lowering to get to 20-30?

E557672F-5F69-47B3-B2A8-0B827917DA81.jpg

Your CYA is 60, we always round up to the next line. Your FC target is 7 - 9 with a minimum of 5.

Use the FAS-DPD test to measure your CL. Use a 10 ml sample and .5 per drop so you dont use so much reagent.

Folks in your area tend to run higher CYA to minimize FC loss in the summer sun. With lower CYA you will need to check and add CL more often to keep your FC over your minimum. You need to decide which way works best for you in your pool environment.

Are you maintaining your pool with TFP methods? Are you using PoolMath?

Chlorine/CYA Chart

ABC’s of Pool Water Chemistry

Yessir, I am working through the e-book and using Pool Math. Just working through everything and making sure I’m doing it right.

- - - Updated - - -

Your CYA is 60, we always round up to the next line. Your FC target is 7 - 9 with a minimum of 5.

Use the FAS-DPD test to measure your CL. Use a 10 ml sample and .5 per drop so you dont use so much reagent.

Folks in your area tend to run higher CYA to minimize FC loss in the summer sun. With lower CYA you will need to check and add CL more often to keep your FC over your minimum. You need to decide which way works best for you in your pool environment.

Thanks, will do!!

Keep it where it is, just keep your chlorine in line according to the chart. Houston get so much sun and rain it will drop on its own in no time.

@kabutotx

I’m having to add 2-4 cups of Chlorine (12.5%) to keep the chlorine level above 5.
its been pretty hot lately and I do have a waterfall in pool, so perhaps that has something to do with it.

Four cups of 12.5% in your pool is 2 ppm. That is a very normal consumption rate right now.

The waterfall won't affect your FC but it can cause your pH to rise. You can deal with that using muriatic acid.

The comparitor block you mentioned as being the "daily" FC tester ....well....most of us just use that for pH. Or I will use it on my hot tub when I don't care what the actual number is but I just need to see there is *some* chlorine in there.

Use the FAS-DPD test for daily testing so you can also test higher than 5 and test for CCs.

Maddie :flower:

My CYA 40 and daily FC consumption is around 4 ppm (Frisco,TX) sometimes even 5ppm.
I would do not have to dilute to pool now, you can make it next year and CYA might got lower :)
Also during the winter * when water temp lower 55F , i used very little liquid chlorine- not follow daily FC chart and nothing happens.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.