LifeTime Supporter
Apr 25, 2009
Burlington, ON, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
After 3 days of killing algae (see my other post - 2nd pic here is the SLAMed and filtered result), I'm cleaning the filters. I've currently cleaned one (on the right).

Should I just throw them away, or will any algae I don't get out be killed by the chlorine?

Thanks.

20210323_180642.jpg
20210323_180811.jpg

Last edited:
They can be cleaned and reused. Don’t let that dry on there or it will be difficult to get off. A soak in a trash bin with some TSP or automatic dishwasher detergent and bleach will make them a lot easier to clean.

Reactions: rcy
I think this is AWESOME for anyone who poo-poos cartridges, properly sized ones at least. I present to you : Exhibit A
20210320_144554.jpg
20210323_180811.jpg20210323_180642.jpg

Well DONE so far RCY !!!

Thanks. It took 3 days. SLAM and cartridge filter. I probably could (should) have cleaned them earlier / more often and I may have seen clear water much sooner.
I used to have a sand filter and there is no comparison in my mind. If I opened with cloudy water, it was sometimes upwards of a week before crystal clear water (and I'm just talking cloudy - I never had an algae outbreak like this to deal with when I had the sand filter). The only benefit to the sand was backwashing was easier than filter cleaning.

Last edited:
Reactions: Newdude
It took 3 days. I probably could (should) have cleaned them earlier / more often and I may have seen clear water much sooner
It never hurts to clean them, but I dunno, that pool is electric neon green. It was gonna take a minute either way.
The only benefit to the sand was backwashing was easier than filter cleaning.
You would have been backwashing like it was your full time job to clear that much algae. One and Done wins everytime.

Is it still a skootch cloudy or is it just the reflection ?

It never hurts to clean them, but I dunno, that pool is electric neon green. It was gonna take a minute either way.

You would have been backwashing like it was your full time job to clear that much algae. One and Done wins everytime.

Is it still a skootch cloudy or is it just the reflection ?
Just a smidgen cloudy. I had a couple spots on the liner that needed more brushing and when I brushed them it clouded up a bit.

Last edited:
When its a smidge milky like that it's all dead, and just needs to make it through the filter. More flow = less time. Some of the dead stuff on the floor will get eaten by the FC if you brush vigorously. Also that will get it stirred back into the water and hopefully through the filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.