Should I Go With A Gas Heater Or Electric Heat Pump?

We believe you 😉 and we’re glad someone with half a brain finally took your request seriously. I remember when the installer upgraded our gas meter and he couldn’t believe how big the request was for a residential home. He thought I had some commercial kitchen installation … when I told him that it was for a pool heater he gave me a puzzled look and didn’t quite believe me when I told him it was a 400,000 BTU/hr heater. I really don’t think these guys understand the size difference between a 50 gallon hot water heater and a 20,000 gallon hot “water” (pool) heater. It’s not the same thing ….

We believe you 😉 and we’re glad someone with half a brain finally took your request seriously. I remember when the installer upgraded our gas meter and he couldn’t believe how big the request was for a residential home. He thought I had some commercial kitchen installation … when I told him that it was for a pool heater he gave me a puzzled look and didn’t quite believe me when I told him it was a 400,000 BTU/hr heater. I really don’t think these guys understand the size difference between a 50 gallon hot water heater and a 20,000 gallon hot “water” (pool) heater. It’s not the same thing ….
Exactly!! lol, they probably thought I was crazy
asking for that size. But that pool heater needs it! I’m sure they’ll enjoy the extra cash I’ll be paying them to run it haha 🤣

That is a big gas meter.

Here is a video of one being installed.

LOL.

So I have a question guys. Considering I’m in NY. Is it okay to have my pool opened until maybe 2nd week of November? Considering how long it’s going to finalize everything with town/permit an installation etc. I wanted to hook everything up (plumbing in heater to pool etc.) before I closed it.

Do you think that’s a wise idea or should I just close the pool? And not hook heater up?
Not sure what to do here.

Thanks!

Keeping the pool open and the water circulating into November on LI is not a problem except for the leaf drop.

Do you have a cover to put on the pool to keep leaves out?

Or cleaning the leaves out will be a daily chore unless you are in treeless farmland.

November should be long before any prolonged deep freezes. Even if it's freezing overnight, the water is still the average of the high/low of the last week or so. Keep the pump on overnight if it's cold for insurance.

I had mine open till the 2nd week of December a couple of years ago when I had the patio around to pool redone. Keep an eye on the temp to make sure there isn't going to be a freak freeze event. Dealing with the leaves is the biggest challenge. Your skimmers are going to likely fill multiple times a day. also I am guessing you are going to a fare bit of dirt and other debris in the pool from the patio work too.

If you have a gas heater I can see it being necessary to connect everything to close out he permits. If its a heat pump, i would wait till the spring if the builder it okay with finalizing all the connections and install then and if they are okay waiting for the final payment too. I closed mine without connecting all the equipment and did that in the early spring late winter.

Reactions: ForceEdge
Keeping the pool open and the water circulating into November on LI is not a problem except for the leaf drop.

Do you have a cover to put on the pool to keep leaves out?

Or cleaning the leaves out will be a daily chore unless you are in treeless farmland.
Okay great. Right now the only thing I have on top is the solar cover.

Should I leave salt generator on or off? I know once water gets cold enough it’s usually hard for algae to form correct? What route should I go there
November should be long before any prolonged deep freezes. Even if it's freezing overnight, the water is still the average of the high/low of the last week or so. Keep the pump on overnight if it's cold for insurance.
True, hasn’t been to cold yet. Ive been watching weather just in case. Wondering if its worth keep SG on though. From what I thought once water gets to cold the salt generator does not produce any chlorine? I could be wrong

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
From what I thought once water gets to cold the salt generator does not produce any chlorine?
Correct. It shuts itself down but the next day may warm up just enough that it works again. Mine worked often enough that I didn't need to add any bleach through mid Nov last year.

You can either monitor it and step in as needed with liquid chlorine, or shut it off and not play the 'did it work yesterday' game.

Updating you guys. Reached out to Leslie’s Pools where I ordered the Raypak..said it’s delayed all the way to beginning of December…so irritated at them considering they told me I was getting it in October.. Either way…was hoping to get everything done at once so I didn’t have to pay the plumbing company to come back and hook up the gas to the heater…unless I can hook up the heater myself? Not sure if I’m allowed to do that when it comes to the permit? Should I just have them do the gas line and hook up the heater later?

Thanks guys

Last edited:
Get the heater in and then contact the gas plumber to do their thing.

Do you have a pad and a place to put the heater?

If you have the pad, the plumber can run the line and then connect the heater later.

It's not that big of a deal to come back.

Maybe check around and find a different seller and cancel with Leslie's or tell them to get it done in 2 weeks.

If the line is not going to be used right away, you will probably want to purge it with maybe dry nitrogen or just fill it with natural gas and cap the line until you are ready to start the system to keep it from getting rusty inside.

Regular air with oxygen and water (humidity) can begin to rust the lines.

If the line is not going to be used right away, you will probably want to purge it with maybe dry nitrogen or just fill it with natural gas and cap the line until you are ready to start the system to keep it from getting rusty inside.

Regular air with oxygen and water (humidity) can begin to rust the lines.
So they don’t use metal pipe for underground according to code in my area. They use plastic. (Unless I’m not understanding) As for the heater. I’m going to keep it in garage until I get the plumber back to install everything

EDIT: I also wonder if I’m able to hook up the gas to the pool heater myself so I can save that cost. Wonder how that works when it comes to code regulations with the town

Last edited:
I also wonder if I’m able to hook up the gas to the pool heater myself so I can save that cost.
The installer should connect the gas and go through a commissioning process.

Commissioning is where they test run the heater and verify that everything is working correctly.

They should give you a commissioning report to verify that the installation was successfully completed.

The report should note things like gas pressure static and dynamic, stack flue/vent temperature, HX (Heat Exchanger) Flow estimate, all metrics from the control panel like temperature inlet and outlet, flame strength, In/Out Temperature, flow in GPM, any errors, supply voltage, hours, cycles etc.

The commissioning report is the official “Installation Date”.

It should note the name of the company that installed the heater, the name of the technician, the trade license information for the Installer, the inspection information, the permit information etc.

It should contain the design details like type of gas line, size and length.

The Warranty needs to be registered with Raypak as soon as possible.

1697811055954.png

1697811105487.png

1697811381425.png

Last edited:
Reactions: ForceEdge
Updating you guys. They rebuilt the meter today in preparation for national grid to come and put in the 800 meter. Waiting on that. They also installed the 2 inch piping to the heater. They went from metal (above ground), to the plastic piping (under ground) I’ll update Some of those pictures when I get home.

Attachments

• Resized_20231023_123230.jpeg
    Resized_20231023_123230.jpeg
    389.9 KB · Views: 18
Updating with more pictures. I think They did a good job. At least that’s my opinion!

Thanks again everyone. Hopefully pool heater gets delivered soon!

Attachments

• IMG_3313.jpeg
    IMG_3313.jpeg
    702.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3314.jpeg
    IMG_3314.jpeg
    681 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3319.jpeg
    IMG_3319.jpeg
    844.5 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.