Should I continue to SLAM?

Debrina122

Gold Supporter
Jun 18, 2018
Patchogue, NY (Long Island)
Good morning,

I have a bit of a long tale and it is complicated. I have about 40,000 free form inground SWG pool with attached spa and double waterfall. Sand filter, heater (will have to find out name etc) After finding your site and devouring all I can I have realized I have NOT Been doing anything right since pool went in 7 years ago. They gave a bottle of test Strips and a 2 page instruction list and it has been a rough time trying to figure this all out because of all my variables, but I have never had year like this one. Water under the bridge - let's move on the RIGHT WAY with TFP!!

I will begin with this years saga - start date 5/22/18. Pool guy opened my pool to its usual swamp and shocked it - turned brown instantly which I have NEVER encountered before. I went to Leslie's and they did not have metal test strips so she had me add their algaecide and shock and come back next day. I did and tested negative for iron and copper so they had my raise pH to 8 and use Yellow out, telling me I had brown algae. Did my usual removal of debris and vacuuming to where I could finally say I could just about see deep end. Brought water back to Leslie's and was told I had Chlorine Lock and he had me lower water by a foot and then add different shock (powder plus). No changes that I could see and still had no FC.

In the meantime I read all I could on metals and was convinced I had metals. I did the stain test and was positive for metals so I used the Metal stain remover from Leslie's with great results, but had a blue tinged pool. Kept searching to find out metals are still in there suspended. I found a product from hydro technology and did the POOL REFRESH routine while speaking with a representative and the result was tons of white residue (metals I was told) which I removed for 3 days until I saw no more. I also added filter aide and CU LATER pods x 2 and my pool was very clear and nice...BUT still had NO FC or CYA. I found out I had to add Jack's Purple Stuff and got his test kit to monitor sequestrant. I also purchased a 1 micron prefilter to put on garden hose I use to fill pool. I have well water so at least I am not adding more metal on this end.

Started to slowly bring up chlorine level and in a bucket test passed, but when I added Chlorine to pool it went brown again. So, I repeated the metal stain remover and added more Jack's. Again bucket test passed with no water change over night so I added started adding chlorine slowly and once again metals oxidized. This time I had a poly filled bucket filter attached to submersible pump and literally swept the brown water through the filter and it filtered out as I slowly added chlorine. Problem was it was not enough Chlorine to hold a FC.

I had a Taylor kit, but it was from last year so I purchased your TF - 100 kit and read more on your site. My pool looked fantastic, but my numbers were out of control. I was very nervous knowing I had no chlorine and was told to add Leslie's algaecide Polyquat 60 while doing AA to keep algae at bay. Problem was I NEVER had algae under control according to your SLAM method.

So, I decided to start over and begin the SLAM process, (SWG had been off since 1st AA treatment). I added CYA to 40 to get started and began to SLAM buying every bottle of bleach in my town. To be honest I was a wreck at this point because as I added the chlorine my pool got browner and browner to where I cannot even see deep end. I decided to push through and over the last 2 days literally at the pool every hour, scrubbing, swishing water testing, and honestly crying a lot. I felt like a chef making a BIG pot of soup and was exhausted.

I finally hit a SLAM of 20 and then pushed up to 24 and I would deal with metals afterwards. So, I had my homemade filter which I change out of polyfil loaded with rust. Paper towels and CU Later in skimmer. I also read about ammonia so I got that kit too and had 0.5 which was easily taken care of with the SLAM.

Last night readings FC = 21 CC - 0.5 so I added 1 1/2 jugs of 10% bleach according to pool math. Went to bed, hardly slept worried if this FC dropped I would have to go to the next town to find some more bleach. This am FC = 23.5 and CC - .5 so I was thinking this really good!! Pool is very brown cannot tell if clear, but looks clear in testing sample. I tested again 2 hours later and FC = 22 and CC is still 0.5 - the sun was up and another hot day on Long island so I know I will lose FC through the day. I know I am sure I left out more details, but to be honest my brain is if fried!! I know I have easily spent over $1,000 thus far but am determined to push through to a clear pool so we can swim. I also fired my pool guy and the pool store and with your help begin to maintain, open and close my pool the right way.

FINALLY - my question. Should I add more bleach to keep my SLAM of 24 through the day and retake over night chlorine test again to be sure? I still have 6 jugs of 10% bleach. Also, should I continue to raise my CYA to 70 now?
Thank you in advance.

Wow, that's some first post! Welcome! :wave:

What is your CYA level? It says that you added to 40, which should have you SLAMming at 16 FC. Why are you taking it to 24?

My personal feeling is to maintain the high FC until the brown sediment all gets filtered out. But that's easy for me to say since I'm not buying the bleach.

Do NOT raise CYA until you're sure the SLAM is complete.

You've kind of got a special circumstance in that you won't be able to pass all 3 of the criteria for the SLAM until the polyfill filter has removed your suspended iron.....

I think that what I would do if it was MY pool would be this, continue to keep the FC at SLAM levels until you pass the first 2 SLAM criteria (Less than 1 PPM FC lost overnight and <.5 CC overnight for 2 nights in a row), then back the chlorine off to higher than regular maintenance levels but less than SLAM levels until the polyfill is done removing the iron.

Are you using a 5 gallon bucket filter or just polyfill in your skimmer, what is your methodology for filtering the iron?

Wow, that's some first post! Welcome! :wave:

What is your CYA level? It says that you added to 40, which should have you SLAMming at 16 FC. Why are you taking it to 24?

My personal feeling is to maintain the high FC until the brown sediment all gets filtered out. But that's easy for me to say since I'm not buying the bleach.

Do NOT raise CYA until you're sure the SLAM is complete.

Thank you Richard! I have been lurky and a little timid in posting, but I need help.

Since I have a SWG pool there was no SLAM FC for a CYA of 40 in the SWG table so I went with the *60. I had just added 2.5 jugs to 10% to bring it back to 24 before seeing your post. I would LOVE to have 16 be my new SLAM FC!!

Jim, I think the question is what I am NOT using to filter :) Poly fil bucket, 1 micron filter hooked to submersible pump, 2 CU Later in skimmer as of today

I just emptied my 5 gallon Poly filter bucket and ICK Have a second going now as I hooked up the new bucket with pool tubing to one of the jets in my spa. I am keeping it a lower speed - not sure how this will work, but clearer water is coming out.

Bucket Filter 1.jpg

I also hooked my submersible pump to the garden hose 1 micron filter I had been using to fill pool and that thing is rusty already. It has a 20,000 gal capacity which I will max out soon enough, but I can get a new one.

IMG_6349.jpg

I also got 2 more buckets to create a better sealed bucket since mine was leaking a little. I had poly fil in my 3 skimmers to as well as paper towel and changed very frequently, but as you can imagine THAT was a chore!

These are the steps as of 9am

Pool Steps 1.jpg

I am quite hopeful now, seems I turned a corner! Checked levels again at 11am FC was down to 20 from 21.5 (VERY sunny already) and CC remains 0.5 and like I said I did boost chlorine up to 24. Should I switch to 16? I have 5 more jugs of 10% hanging around so I will keep it at the FC you suggest and do the overnight test again tonight.

Thank you Richard! I have been lurky and a little timid in posting, but I need help.

Since I have a SWG pool there was no SLAM FC for a CYA of 40 in the SWG table so I went with the *60. I had just added 2.5 jugs to 10% to bring it back to 24 before seeing your post. I would LOVE to have 16 be my new SLAM FC!!
It is.

You're not chlorinating with the SWG right now. You're using bleach. So use the bleach chart [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

UPDATE:

I overslept this morning so I tested late at about 8am (was up until midnight again last night) :? Sadly, my FC dropped 4 CC remains at 0.5, hourly checks to keep at SLAM level - another full day to watch the pool and another hot sunny day.

Spoke to a rep from CULater yesterday in depth about metals. He told me to remove them for now until all oxidized metals are out as they do not work on metals in that state. I am calling once pool clear for the game plan to fight the metals I cannot see.

Just spent 4 hours hooking up 2 new poly buckets and cleaning the 1 micron filter and all skimmer cloths. The iron filtering during the SLAM is working!!!

Pool Steps 2.jpg

Thank goodness I found this forum, I finally feel like I am on the right path! Many thanks to you all!!

That's some MAJOR progress. Congratulations. Once you hopefully get your pool to where you want it, you can worry about the metals you can't see. You will simply have to use some metal sequesterant like Metal Magic. That will keep those metals in solution and hidden in the water. You then simply add a monthly maintenance dose and you should be good to go.

UPDATE:

I overslept this morning so I tested late at about 8am (was up until midnight again last night) :? Sadly, my FC dropped 4 CC remains at 0.5, hourly checks to keep at SLAM level - another full day to watch the pool and another hot sunny day.

Spoke to a rep from CULater yesterday in depth about metals. He told me to remove them for now until all oxidized metals are out as they do not work on metals in that state. I am calling once pool clear for the game plan to fight the metals I cannot see.

Just spent 4 hours hooking up 2 new poly buckets and cleaning the 1 micron filter and all skimmer cloths. The iron filtering during the SLAM is working!!!

View attachment 82733

Thank goodness I found this forum, I finally feel like I am on the right path! Many thanks to you all!!
If thats not progress I don't know what is!

Debrina:

Congratulations as you are moving quickly. Not until recently, I would have never recommended a DE alternative in your sand filter. If you want to speed the clearing process up quickly, add a DE alternative (Fiber Clear) or grab some from friends. This will speed up the process a bit. My pool water is very polished compared to what it looked like before. You are at the end of your SLAM, and this should push it along.

That's some MAJOR progress. Congratulations. Once you hopefully get your pool to where you want it, you can worry about the metals you can't see. You will simply have to use some metal sequesterant like Metal Magic. That will keep those metals in solution and hidden in the water. You then simply add a monthly maintenance dose and you should be good to go.

Thanks so much Dean, Just sat down after changing and rinsing everything out again. I can finally see the bottom of the deep end so I am excited. I already have the sequestrant and testing kit ready to go :)

- - - Updated - - -

If thats not progress I don't know what is!

Thanks Jim!! I am getting there - once that pool is clear and fixed I plan on sitting in for weeks on end to recuperate! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Debrina:

Congratulations as you are moving quickly. Not until recently, I would have never recommended a DE alternative in your sand filter. If you want to speed the clearing process up quickly, add a DE alternative (Fiber Clear) or grab some from friends. This will speed up the process a bit. My pool water is very polished compared to what it looked like before. You are at the end of your SLAM, and this should push it along.

I was thinking the same thing! :) I just ran out of that filter aid a few days ago. When I head out again to restock on bleach I will get some.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a it of another issue folks, I have tested so much I am very low on the reagents. just ordered some priority mail so I have to figure out what to do in the meantime. I want to try the overnight test again if I have enough.

I also will be away all day tomorrow and am nervous. I have been at that pool side non stop for 4 days and only on Day 2 of the SLAM, but life does happen. I am thinking I should raise FC higher to last through the day? Any ideas? It will be another hit sunny day on Long Island and I do not want to go below my SLAM FC of 16.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I also will be away all day tomorrow and am nervous. I have been at that pool side non stop for 4 days and only on Day 2 of the SLAM, but life does happen. I am thinking I should raise FC higher to last through the day? Any ideas? It will be another hit sunny day on Long Island and I do not want to go below my SLAM FC of 16.

No bring up to SLAM only. You may slow down a little, but then get back on track with the SLAM until you pass all 3 criteria.

i also will be away all day tomorrow and am nervous. I have been at that pool side non stop for 4 days and only on day 2 of the slam, but life does happen. I am thinking i should raise fc higher to last through the day? Any ideas? It will be another hit sunny day on long island and i do not want to go below my slam fc of 16.

No bring up to slam only. You may slow down a little, but then get back on track with the slam until you pass all 3 criteria.

Hi Debrina, Joe from Sayville here. I actually signed on to try and get some help with my pool and saw your post. I guess you have now made me a firm believer of this site. I will start researching as much as i can and hopefully get my cloudy pool clear. Glad yours is getting on the right track.

Hi Debrina, Joe from Sayville here. I actually signed on to try and get some help with my pool and saw your post. I guess you have now made me a firm believer of this site. I will start researching as much as i can and hopefully get my cloudy pool clear. Glad yours is getting on the right track.

Please start your own thread. Add your signature and tell us your story. We will be glad to help!

UPDATE - Day 4 of SLAM

LOTS of Progress!!

SLAM Day 4.jpg

Unfortunately I have run out of reagents, and ordered some priority mail so hoping it comes today. In the meantime I am testing with basic kit and trying to keep it between School bus yellow and Hunter orange to keep my FC in the ball park of 16. My Last over night test had only a drop of 1.5 with a CC < 0.5 so I am hoping I am close. I have quite a bit of staining too :(

I removed the immersible pump and 1 mircon filter as pool is very clear now and I could use some savings on the electric from running that thing SO much. Cleaned my 2 bucket filters, poly filled sock, rags in skimmers and that should be enough filtering.

Will vacuum later today too to get some sediment off bottom and get in the pool to start scrubbing where I cannot reach from the outside. Heading out to gather more bleach from 2 towns over :)

Hope you all enjoy your day!

If you continue to fail the overnight test at levels above 10 ppm, allow your levels to drop down to under 10 ppm and then perform the overnight test. There is testing error at these levels, etc.

That's good to know! My test reagents have not arrived and it has been 4 days since I had an accurate FC measure so I assume I will have to start all over again - sigh - I paid for priority mail, but post office screwed up they said "should be here later today". :(

If it arrives I will get an accurate reading and see if I pass the overnight test with whatever reading I get. If not I will start all over. Pool looks wonderful except for staining!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.