Shocking Pool, FILTER ISSUE! *pictures!*

Jun 2, 2012
Hi all,
I have an above ground 7600 gallon pool. I pulled the cover off after sitting stagnant for 1.5 years. It stared very very dark green. I spent a week adjusting CYA, Ph etc. The original CYA was 0, TA was 30 and ph was 6. I added several bags of dichlor to get the CYA up to 50. Adjusted the TA to 70 (I was planning on getting this in the 100 range after shocking) and Ph went a little high to an 8. It originally all turned white, and is still white, just to a lesser degree. I started shocking twice a day on 6/1 with bleach and followed the pool school calculators and such. I'm not seeing as much progress as I like. The pool is brushed daily and filter cleaned daily (maybe I missed a day). Yesterday I shocked 3 times. Today I am going to try to test and shock every three hours. It's still white. Maybe this is normal, but when I did it two years ago from this nasty green it turned clear in a week maybe? I just need reassurance! I'm having a party next Wednesday, June 15 and am crossing my fingers that it will be ready!

Input?

Re: Shocking Pool, Need Reassurance!

I tried to upload pictures and they failed!!! Resized and saved in paint: here ya go

5/26 Startinggreen forum.jpg
TA = 30
CYA = 0 (+3 bag of trichlor, 3 bags dichlor over the span of 6 days)
PH = 6 (+ 152 oz. borax)
CL = 0

Didn't test again and only added dichlor/trichlor slowly
5/27527.jpg
5/28528.jpg

Will add rest of photos and info on next comment, as exceeded amount of photos/data

To add more pictures, follow these directions: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/72545-Posting-Photo-s-Tutorial

Are you still losing a lot of FC between tests? You might still have some organic stuff breaking down on the bottom. Have you been vacuuming blind?

After 5 days I would expect you to be able to at least see the bottom by now, if hazy. Anything you can do it improve circulation should help get suspended particles into the filter where they can get strained out. If the return is adjustable, point it down. If you have a vacuum that connects to the filter, lay it on the bottom on its side so the filter draws from the lower depths. Brushing, even just a few swipes perpendicular to each other, will set up some cross currents and stir things up without killing your shoulders.

5/29 529.jpg

6/1
TA = 60
CYA =50
PH = 8
CL = 0 +2 gallons of 8.25% 121oz bleach. Shock goal is 20

6/2 added another gallon, not sure what I did with those test results :(

6/3
TA = 70
CYA = 50
PH = 7.5
CL = 5.5ppm +1.5 gallons

8:00pm
CL = 9ppm +1 gallon

6/4 Started hitting hard
1:00pm
TA = 70-80
CYA = 50
PH = 7.2
CL = 13.5ppm + 3/4 gallon 8.25% bleach

6/5
12 pm CL = 13ppm + 3/4 gallon 8.25% bleach
3:45pm CL = 18ppm +2cups 8.25% bleach
6pm CL = 15ppm (CC), FC (2ppm) TC (17ppm) + 1/4 gallon of 8.25% bleach

6/6
10am CL = 18ppm + 1/2 gallon of 8.25% bleach

Upped CYA value to 60 to increase shock value to 24ppm hoping that would help

Thanks for the reply Richard320. I added more pictures, thanks for the tutorial!

My husband did say that there was still stuff in the bottom, not a lot but still some. We have not vacuumed. Any tips on getting the vacuum going with one person outside the pool? In the past it's always taken two of us in the pool, submerging the hose completely to get the suction going with no air in the line. I'm not sure how to get it going :/

I cannot point the water return because it seems to be missing a directive piece ... it just spurts out straight. I moved to this house 2 years ago and have no information on the pool or type. I need to replace a lot of the end caps too where the metal supports hold the walls up but have no information on brand and stuff and pool stores tell me they cannot identify/order without knowing what brand/make :(

"If you have a vacuum that connects to the filter, lay it on the bottom on its side so the filter draws from the lower depths." <- good pointer. If I can get the vacuum going by myself outside of the pool, I'll def. do this!

"Are you still losing a lot of FC between tests?" I wouldn't say a lot, but that's subjective. I've upped my testing/shocking to every 2-3 hours today and from now on, so we'll see what results that yields. I do think I need to get the vacuum going.

- - - Updated - - -

Done! Look below.

Re: Shocking Pool, Need Reassurance! *pictures!*

one trick to help get the hose full-ish of water is to hold one end over the return (assuming you can reach it). hold other end higher, pressure will force air out and up.

OOh! Good tip mrcarcrazy!

Richard320 - yes, it connects to the skimmer and the other end connects to a triangular vacuum head I got at lowes for about $30 :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

OOh! Good tip mrcarcrazy!

Richard320 - yes, it connects to the skimmer and the other end connects to a triangular vacuum head I got at lowes for about $30 :)
When I hook up my vacuum, I set the head in the pool near the skimmer and feed the hose in slowly, holding it vertical as it goes down. That pushes all the air out. When I get to the end, it's all full and underwater and I slide it through the skimmer opening and plug in it. No air gets sucked in at all.

Been vacuuming the pool and stirring up the debri. It's got more in it than I thought. I also skimmed with a leaf net on the bottom for a solid 10 minutes after vacuuming and got out a few handfuls of leaves as well. We have to stop vacuuming frequently to clean the pump basket of leaves. I will note that when we are vacuuming we see bits of junk being blown back out of the return. Shouldn't the filter be catching this stuff?? I'm assuming it's torn up leaves from being churned in the pool basket while vacuuming? My filter is from last year and I was planning on replacing after this nasty process, but now I'm wondering if the filter is not catching as much as it should?

My pool as stayed the same for days color ways. The chlorine isn't falling fast at all, just no progress. I'm getting discouraged. Pointers? Help?

Watch that closely and be sure the stuff is actually coming out the return and not just hitting the stream and looking that way. One way to be sure is to stick a sock or a nylon over the return fitting and secure it with a rubber band or something. When you're done vacuuming, turn the sock inside out. That will tell you if anything is bypassing the filter.

Watch that closely and be sure the stuff is actually coming out the return and not just hitting the stream and looking that way. One way to be sure is to stick a sock or a nylon over the return fitting and secure it with a rubber band or something. When you're done vacuuming, turn the sock inside out. That will tell you if anything is bypassing the filter.

If it is bypassing the filter, do you think it would simply indicate that the filter cartridge is shot and needs to be replaced or would there be a bigger issue? I will do the sock test. It does look like it's coming straight out and not hitting the return, looks like ground up leaves. Thanks!

If it is bypassing the filter, do you think it would simply indicate that the filter cartridge is shot and needs to be replaced or would there be a bigger issue? I will do the sock test. It does look like it's coming straight out and not hitting the return, looks like ground up leaves. Thanks!
I'd want to take it apart and see. It could be something misaligned or missing an O-ring or the wrong filter or a hole in the filter or.... who knows.

OK -

Husband jumped in the pool this morning to vacuum it more thoroughly. He didnt feel a lot of debri (a few leaves he says). When he was vacuuming I put a sock over the return and got all kinds of particles, including yucky tiny slimy looking balls. I think that came from the filter itself. I've included pictures of the filter and such. I'm def. replacing the filter, didn't see any holes, but it's old and sat last season (since the pool wasn't used). I took a picture of the filter itself and the inside incase you all have any pointers on where to look for problems, since I'm not mechanically inclined at all. Thank you for any help.

Pictures:

Cartridge that we pulled out:

Not all crevices are this bad, but the gunk in the Cartridge:

This is how my husband cleans the Cartridge:

This is our Filter:

Inside of filter: The 12 o'clock view is where the water comes in from the pump and the 6 o'clock view is where the water exits back to the pool

Closer View:

- - - Updated - - -

ALSO - Should I continue running the pump and shocking the pool until I get a new cartridge (I will order it and it will come in the mail) or just leave the pump off and not throw any more bleach in there?

I find that spraying the water in on a grazing angle (even more of an angle than in the pic above) really helps... also spraying from the inside out at first to help get the worst stuff out.

Don't see anything obviously wrong with the cartridge or housing UNLESS it's the wrong size cartridge (ie the open end of the filter is bigger than the protruding parts on the housing). I would keep running it & using the cartridge.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.