Shocked.Flocked.Shocked.Flocked.Shocked and still not clear

Re: Shocked.Flocked.Shocked.Flocked.Shocked and still not cl

kkilgore said:
Ok...I know I'm not suppose to go back to the pool store but my test kit has not arrived and I wanted to get the water tested to see if it is getting any better. I have added 35lbs or alkalinity, 7lbs of pH rise and approx. 30lbs of shock to my pool since Monday. Here are my numbers:

TC - 1.7
FC - 0
pH - 7
Total Alk. - 137
Calcium - 133
CYA - 50

They told me to add 2lbs of pH rise and to continue adding 5lbs of shock every hour until I could get a chlorine reading.

I want to use the BBB method, but don't know where to start. I used the pool calculator and if I used it correctly based on these numbers to bring my pool up to shock level I would have to add 257ozs of borax to fix my pH and close to 12 - 96oz jugs of bleach....does this sound right?

I'm going to try to attach some pictures.

Thanks....
Looks like you have a nice pool. Your stats are:

TC - 1.7
FC - 0
pH - 7
Total Alk. - 137
Calcium - 133
CYA - 50

CYA @ 50 is acceptable.

Chlorine
If your TC is 1.7, your FC cannot = 0. (TC = FC + CC) I will guess your FC = 1.5. At that level, 9 gallons (128oz) of 6% sodium hypochlorite should get you close to the Shock FC level of 20ppm for CYA=50. You have to maintain this 20ppm until:
1-until you pass the OCLT (pool-school/overnight_fc_test)
2-CC=0.5ppm
3-your water is crystal clear

Ph
pH is low. I think it will take around 6 lbs of Soda Ash to get your pH up to 7.5.

Total Alkalinity
T/A is High. See - pool-school/lowering%20total%20alkalinity

Calcium at 133 is OK. As long as it is low in a Vinyl Liner pool, you are OK. You only need to worry about high levels.

Your test kit should arrive soon. As soon as you get it, test and post all the test results.

Good Luck.

kkilgore said:
I have 4 chlorine tablets in my skimmer, should i remove these before starting the bleach?

Importantly, don't forget about adjusting pH and the T/A to acceptable levels.

I would not use the trichlor tablets unless you need to add additional stabilizer. Start with 9 gallons (128oz jugs) of 6% sodium hypochlorite (BLEACH). I have not found any information on the rate (how much, how often) at which bleach should be added to pool water to increase the chlorine level. Adding 12 gallons to my pool, I divided the dosing into 4 applications of 3 gallons over an hour time period ... after the sun went down to help prevent the sun from destroying my chlorine. I think you want to get your chlorine up to the 20ppm Shock FC level, fairly quickly, test FC and CC frequently enough to maintain 20ppm Shock FC level. The time it takes to clear your pool will be the least if you maintain the Shock FC level for your CYA of 50, i.e. = 20ppm.

Just don't pour your bleach into one spot. I added mine to a strong current out in front of my water return in the deep end. Then I brushed the bottom to help ensure against bleaching my liner.

Follow the Shocking Process until:
1. CC is less than 0.5 ppm,
2. An OCLT shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less and,
3. The water is crystal clear.

The key to the BBB method is to make informed choices. Continuing to shock the pool is a good idea.

What brand/chemical "shock"? If it is dichlor I recommend against using it as it will raise your CYA level, which is already high. If it is cal-hypo that is alright for now as your CH level is fairly low. Using bleach instead is even better.

How has your filter pressure been behaving? Have you been cleaning/backwashing the filter recently and if so how often?

Raising the PH is not crucial, and best left until later. As long as the PH is 7.0 or higher (and below 8.0) you can leave adjusting the PH until you are done shocking.

You don't need to worry about your TA right now. That will come into effect after shocking, IF high pH is a problem. Right now your pH is low, so do not pay any attention to TA. The tabs tend to lower pH a bit.

I would go ahead and remove the tabs (tri-chlor) since your CYA is already plenty high enough. Just use bleach now. (Or can use cal-hypo if that is what you have already since your CH is low.)

How to get started shocking: You will test your FC and then add enough bleach to get you up to 20 (use the pool calc). Pour it slowly in front of your return. (Want it to take around 2 minutes to pour in each gallon.) After one hour, retest. You will then repeat this process as often as you can.

kkilgore said:
I have 4 chlorine tablets in my skimmer, should i remove these before starting the bleach?

I didn't see anyone answer your direct question...I would say YES.

With your CYA at 50, you don't need any more CYA and the pucks likely contain CYA to stabilize the chlorine in the puck (and in your pool). Adding more stabilizer will make for higher levels of chlorine (FC or TC in your tests) required to shock your pool.

I have been at it all weekend with bleach and vacuuming to waste and finally.....I can see the bottom of the deep end of the pool. YEAH!!!! Now when my test kit arrives I am through with the pool store. After listening to them for over a month with little significant results, I am a true believer in the BBB method. Thanks for everyones advice and help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.