Shock/Tingle getting into/out of pool

Barry321

May 8, 2022
Elgin, SC
I've read about this issue on here and other boards. I have the issue myself.

The main location of the shock/tingle typically is at one handrail when getting into- out of the water at the steps. (never had anyone say they felt it at the ladder on the other end). I have felt it myself a few times- very slight- when I had a cut on a finger and I was in the pool and touched the metal coping on the end of the pool.

My pool is a vinyl liner pool (not salt water) - approx 16 x 32. 6 feet is the deepest part.

AC voltage measurements with a digital multi-meter with one probe on the metal coping and the other in the water reads around 0.5 volts or less- usually much less in the area of .1 volts. That's true for every area of the pool (including the ladder) except one of the 2 handrails going into my pool. At one of the 2 handrails, the voltage reads between 4 volts and 6 volts. I measure by testing the "AC" and placing one probe in the water and one probe onto the handrail.

I took some bare copper wire and wrapped one end around the handrail in question and strung it above ground to the pool ladder and the voltage reading at the same handrail drops to .5 volts or less (usually a good bit less). As soon as I take the wire off, the reading goes back up to between 4 and 6 volts.

I saw the same drop in voltage when I strung up the bare copper wire to the in question handrail and attached the other end (above ground) to the other handrail.

There is a bonding wire attached at my pool pump motor that runs just under the ground up to my concrete pool deck and at the edge of the pool deck it travels under the concrete pool deck.. Of course at that point I can't see it anymore. The connection at the pool pump is tight. I've also used sandpaper on that wire at the connection to make sure there is a good connection.

I do have a pool light on a GFCI duplex outlet about 3 feet away from my pool pump. I've been told by an electrician that came out to check my wiring that the duplex outlet and the pool light wiring is fine.

The reading is still the same even if the breakers to the pool pump and light are turned off at the main breaker.

Any advice would be appreciated.

The reading is still the same even if the breakers to the pool pump and light are turned off at the main breaker.
Step 2 is to turn off the house breaker to remove anything which originates from the home from the equation.

If the trouble persists with the main beaker off, call the power company.

If the trouble goes away with the main breaker off, turn it back on and isolate individual breakers one at a time, and/or call an electrician.

Newdude's got you on the right track trying to chase down the source of the stray voltage. The fact that you're only seeing it on that one handrail suggests to me that the handrail isn't bonded with the rest of the system. If everything is bonded together you shouldn't be reading different voltage from one rail to the other.

Turned off main breaker to house.

voltage at one handrail dropped from a little over 4 volts to 2.9 volts.

Then I wrapped the bare copper wire around the one handrail again and wrapped it around one of the ladder rails. Voltage fell to around the .1 range.

Newdude's got you on the right track trying to chase down the source of the stray voltage. The fact that you're only seeing it on that one handrail suggests to me that the handrail isn't bonded with the rest of the system. If everything is bonded together you shouldn't be reading different voltage from one rail to the other.

It is still possible to read very small voltages around the pool even with it properly bonded? I mean in the .1 to .3 range? I am using a digital meter. I know those can be very sensitive.

It does seem to me that it's mainly the one stair-rail.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Every electrician around me doesn't want to mess with pools. I've asked.

Makes it tough to figure out.

pool builder is retired now.

Difficult issue to solve.
My issue was a Neutral to Ground issue.

Called my power company, they came out today, and repaired the Neutral line. Now the pool is back to normal!

He said I was the only person to call about electrified pool that actually had one (e.g. not static from a composite deck etc).

Any updates? I am starting to feel electric shocks in my pool too. Freaking me out.

no updates. Still does it.

No, turning off breakers doesn't help. I've turned off the entire panel numerous times - no difference.

Probably won't use pool this summer. No electricians want to deal with it.

Power company came out, looked around, didn't see any issues.

No one with pools around me - including my neighbor- has any issues. Seriously considering filling it in. It's only 6 years old.

It is interesting that in the attached update to the 2023 NEC 680.26 pool bonding section they recognize some voltage sources can originate outside the premises and are not within the scope of the NEC.

Informational Note No. 1: Some causes of voltage gradients originate outside the premises wiring system and are not within the scope of the NEC. Measures identified in Rule 097D2 of ANSI C2, National Electrical Safety Code, can also serve to address voltage gradients originating on the utility side of the service point.

I suggest you try and contact this guy who seems very knowledgeable and see how he can help you...

Attachments

• TIA_70_23_9.pdf
    190.2 KB · Views: 1
It is interesting that in the attached update to the 2023 NEC 680.26 pool bonding section they recognize some voltage sources can originate outside the premises and are not within the scope of the NEC.

Informational Note No. 1: Some causes of voltage gradients originate outside the premises wiring system and are not within the scope of the NEC. Measures identified in Rule 097D2 of ANSI C2, National Electrical Safety Code, can also serve to address voltage gradients originating on the utility side of the service point.

I suggest you try and contact this guy who seems very knowledgeable and see how he can help you...

I will send him a message.

I just wrapped some copper wire around my handrail (that shows 2 volts or so) and wrapped the other end around the metal ladder on the side of the pool near the other end and the 2 volts dropped all the way to less than 0.1 volts.

I just wrapped some copper wire around my handrail (that shows 2 volts or so) and wrapped the other end around the metal ladder on the side of the pool near the other end and the 2 volts dropped all the way to less than 0.1 volts.

You achieved equipotential bonding and brought those points all to the same voltage. That is what bonding does. It does not eliminate the electricity. It brings everything you may touch to the same voltage so no electrons will flow through a human body.

Last edited:
You achieved equipotential bonding and brought those points all to the same voltage. That is what bonding does. It does not eliminate the electricity. IT brings everything you may touch to the same voltage so no electrons will flow through a human body.

Thanks. The problem is the copper wire tied around the entrance/exit handrail and strung across to my pool ladder handrail isn't that attractive and will be a real eyesore when people are using the pool. LOL - "look daddy, I can jump over the wire into the pool"

So I've got another pool guy coming to look at it this weekend to see what he thinks about it. He owns a pool repair business and does have experience troubleshooting electrical issues. So I'll see what he thinks about this - along with my leaking pool light that stays full of water more than it stays useful.

The frustrating thing is the guy who put in my pool had about 35 years of experience in pools and came highly recommended. He was out at my house 2-3 times checking on things and had his most experienced employee overseeing everything and he was here every day while it was being built. But, that didn't matter. (The guy who built my pool 6 years ago is retired now)

My neighbor had a landscape guy put in her pool. It was only his 3rd or 4th pool as he was trying to get into the pool business as a sideline to his landscaping business. They've not had one ounce of trouble.

You achieved equipotential bonding and brought those points all to the same voltage. That is what bonding does. It does not eliminate the electricity. It brings everything you may touch to the same voltage so no electrons will flow through a human body.

Get this

my Pentair light housing is sitting on the concrete deck of my pool because it's leaking. I just used my multimeter on it- stuck one lead to the outside metal housing of the light and stuck the other in the pool water- got over 3 volts. This is with the breaker turned off.

The coping in that same spot of the pool measures less than 0.1 volt when one lead is on the metal coping and one lead is in the water.

No idea in the world how that is happening.

Most likely it is Neutral to Earth Voltage (NEV). The neutral coming to your house has a voltage relative to earth ground. This is not uncommon in less populated areas and usually due to unequal loads on 3-phase power in the main distribution lines. Unfortunately, the power companies will not always fix the issue because sometimes it not easily fixed or it is within their acceptable tolerances.

So when you have a conductor at the neutral potential and another conductor at the ground potential, there will be a measurable difference between the two.

I've have an issue with some voltage showing up with my multi meter when I use one probe on my handrail and one in the water- a little over 2 volts. (I'm trying to figure this out but I'm not talking about the handrail with this post)

I was checking out my pool yesterday and was measuring the other side of the pool (opposite side where handrails are at) with my multi-meter. I was checking out the metal coping and it's measuring well less than 0.1 volt (one probe on the coping edge and one probe in the pool water). That's good in my view because that matches pretty much everywhere else except my handrail.

However, my light housing is currently sitting on the concrete deck of my pool because it's been leaking. So I had pulled it out and it's been sitting right there on the concrete deck until I can figure out a repair.

So I decided to put one probe on the metal housing of the Pentair light (there is no bulb in it now as I threw it away) and the other in the water and noticed the reading was over 2 volts. I turned the breaker off for the light at the main panel and there was no change- still over 2 volts). Everything around the light on that side of the pool with the multi-meter is showing less than 0.1 volt.

Update

Pool guy I called came by to look. Turned breaker off. He disconnected the wires for my pool light and we still measured over 2 volts from the light housing (that's sitting on the concrete pool deck at this point) and the water.

Then we disconnected the green wire from the light and the bare copper wire from the power supply and the volts went to 0. He told me to leave it disconnected at this point until I get everything solved. He offered no explanation for why this occured.

But I'm still getting 2.5 volts or so from one handrail when placing one probe on the handrail and one to the water. (This is with the breaker off to the light and the breaker off to the pool pump).

The crazy thing is - last spring I was getting about the same voltage from my other handrail- this year I'm getting less than 0.1 volts from that handrail.

Pool guy didn't think it was stray voltage. But isn't sure either. Told me I need to contact the power company and have someone come by and really check my electrical panel closely.

So maybe I will do that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support