Shock and pH Lower....

Everything you said would happen, happened! That's a good thing.

I tested the water at the crack of dawn and here are the results:

TA: 250 ppm
FC: 14
pH: 8.0-8.2

I got the "false high" pH, the chlorine is high, but the TA came down a little. I think that's about right. I ran the filter all night and it's still running now. That's more than 24 hours, but I don't know that I should turn it off just yet, since the "process" isn't over.

The water is clear now--no more cloudy. I JUST tested it again and the FC is 10+ still, but the pH has come down to normal (in between 7.2 and 7.5). I'm going to test it again in a little bit to make sure the FC continues to come down.

When it's down to the "normal" range, it's maintenance from there, right? Please say right... :mrgreen:

One more thing... should I test the CYA or does it really matter at this point? Thank you!

If your overnight FC loss was 1.0 or less, the water is clear, and CC is 0.5 or less, then you are done shocking and can let the FC level drift down on it's own back to normal day to day levels.

You always want to have some idea of what your CYA level is. If you don't have a CYA reading from the last six to eight weeks, then you need to get one.

This is good....

Okay, just keep an eye on your chlorine levels closely, since you aren't testing with the FAS-DPD test.

Do another overnight test tonight, confirm that the chlorine is holding.

Remember to add enough bleach each night to keep you above your "min". :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.