Shallow end cliff

Mattlar0806

Jul 6, 2023
Northeast
Hey Guys,

Any thoughts with this L shape design and just doing a straight cliff at the dotted lined.

I’m installing a type 1 pool / diving board which requires 29ft of length and 12ft wide. I finally found a smaller envelope for slides installed around DBs (attached as well). Long story short I can put anywhere after 14.6 out from the board…

This would create a large and separated shallow end. Type 1 pool can reach 3.5ft after 20.5ft out from board so I don’t have many options to use that area by the slide.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_8753.jpeg
    IMG_8753.jpeg
    241.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_8751.png
    IMG_8751.png
    212.4 KB · Views: 24
I like the layout. Will you put a rope along the dotted lines?

What type of cleaner were you planning to use? A straight cliff drop off between deep and shallow end may require 2 separate cleaning cycles. Unless the robot falls off the cliff, it will need to be put into the 2 separate areas for cleaning.

Either a pressure side cleaner or a suction side cleaner will most likely get stuck in the deep end

I like the layout. Will you put a rope along the dotted lines?

What type of cleaner were you planning to use? A straight cliff drop off between deep and shallow end may require 2 separate cleaning cycles. Unless the robot falls off the cliff, it will need to be put into the 2 separate areas for cleaning.

Either a pressure side cleaner or a suction side cleaner will most likely get stuck in the deep end

Really wouldn’t want a rope but I can see why one would be suggested.

Thank you and good point on cleaners. We are having an automatic cleaner piped in but i wasn’t even planning on buying one now. We’ve had a pool already - this is a ripout / redo but the weekly service cleaning the pool has been sufficient so far.

Be sure to have the pool properly engineered if you plan on constructing it this way. The deep end is going to place massive stress on the “hinge” that is created with the shelf and will need considerable reinforcement in that area.

Most pools crack at the shallow to deep transition and this design is basically creating a point of failure if it’s built with standard construction techniques. It’s very possible to do but just make certain it’s designed and built correctly.

Something else to consider is seeing if your AHJ will even allow it. Many municipalities have requirements on the angle of shallow to deep transitions and…. your transition is a little on the steep side😂

Sticking with a 3.5ft shallow end. Maybe a little shallower at the steps to allow for some slope in the shallow end. PB said it should never be totally flat for drainage and cleaning reasons - is this true?

Wife decided L isn’t worth it. So I’m going to put the diving board and slide on the same side of a rectangle (deep end wall) - originally thought I’d have to do a 22x40 to support the 2 envelopes but may be able to get away with 20x40. If I can stick to 20width I may want to lengthen a bit to get more shallow end. Talking like 2-4 feet. If the space supports both, Do people like wider or longer? I lean longer since all that extra sqft can be added to shallow end and now the whole pool.

Sticking with a 3.5ft shallow end. Maybe a little shallower at the steps to allow for some slope in the shallow end. PB said it should never be totally flat for drainage and cleaning reasons - is this true?

Wife decided L isn’t worth it. So I’m going to put the diving board and slide on the same side of a rectangle (deep end wall) - originally thought I’d have to do a 22x40 to support the 2 envelopes but may be able to get away with 20x40. If I can stick to 20width I may want to lengthen a bit to get more shallow end. Talking like 2-4 feet. If the space supports both, Do people like wider or longer? I lean longer since all that extra sqft can be added to shallow end and now the whole pool.
If you swim laps, longer is better

If you swim laps, longer is better
So I mapped this all out with the smaller envelope I found and I think the 20ft pool is just too narrow. It allows for only 6ft from DB edge to slide edge. Btw these 2 we were planning a waterfall. Would be way too close together. Technically I could push the slide to the center point just 3.5 ft from the adjacent wall but that is way too close for my liking. I think 22ft is the way to go here.

Thinking the middle sketch which each item would be 6ft on center from their adjacent walls

Attachments

• IMG_8754.jpeg
    IMG_8754.jpeg
    335.7 KB · Views: 9
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.