Shade tolerant perennial ground cover alternative that can handle being splashed with pool water? Usda zone 8B

Slippery

Jul 15, 2018
Portland or
Whew! I know that’s a lot of requirements. Ive done some googling and nothing has come up. I have a few spots where the kids splash a ton of water outside the pool and need some ground cover that can handle it. My worst spot is in the shade all day. I’d love some kind of ground cover that can fit around the pavers that lead to the ladder for the above ground.

Anyone know of a plant that might work?

I’m in zone 8B. That area is pretty well protected from wind and the elements so I can probably push it with plants meant for slightly warmer zones.

Our liriope Big Blue is in full sun though it can take a lot of shade. It is also subjected to large amounts of our saltwater, especially from our hairy dogs that bring out a LOT of it right into the liriope bed side of the pool.

If the stepping stones are small (say less than 18 x 18) they will get covered by the liriope as the leaves get long and drape sideways. I mow mine annually in the late winter/very early spring so it's gets a fresh look each year. I do have some in less visible places where I don't cut it back. Just depends on how rough it looks after the winter. But it's great and tough perennial.

Our liriope Big Blue is in full sun though it can take a lot of shade. It is also subjected to large amounts of our saltwater, especially from our hairy dogs that bring out a LOT of it right into the liriope bed side of the pool.

If the stepping stones are small (say less than 18 x 18) they will get covered by the liriope as the leaves get long and drape sideways. I mow mine annually in the late winter/very early spring so it's gets a fresh look each year. I do have some in less visible places where I don't cut it back. Just depends on how rough it looks after the winter. But it's great and tough perennial.
Thanks my pavers are 12x12. Looks like these grow to 14". That would be too high to step over from paver to paver. Are yours that high?

They flop over so 14" is pushing it, it's only the shorter stuff in front in the picture. But yeah, it may be higher than you want to step over repeatedly. I have a path going down through the middle, but I don't let the liriope go between them now that I think about it.

They flop over so 14" is pushing it, it's only the shorter stuff in front in the picture. But yeah, it may be higher than you want to step over repeatedly. I have a path going down through the middle, but I don't let the liriope go between them now that I think about it.

Wow that looks beautiful! I am wondering if I can make those work in a difference spot. Thanks for the idea!

It's nice because it doubles as the dogs' pee and poop area if they are in the pool enclosure, and no one walks in the liriope (except me if weeding) so there are no landmines.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.