SFKOI Motor protector - do I need it?

jp1000

Mar 21, 2010
Hi there, any electrical types out there? My pump stopped working and I have pinned it down to the SFKOI Motor Protection Breaker (description found on the net) I dont understand what this does, I have a single phase pump working on a 8x5 pool. There is a breaker feeding this unit and there is a relay after it. The main feed from the house also has the usual trip protection. I have figured out a way to remove this but should I? Any help much appreciated. Thanks

That's basically a manual motor starter with current sensing.

How did you determine that the starter was the problem?

Since you have a single phase pump are the three contacts wired in series like they should be?

What size is the pump? (Must be pretty small because the OI is only good for 6.3 amps max.)
What voltage is the pump? (I'm asking because you don't list where you're from.)

Hi there, thanks for the reply.
The pump is a SILEN 100M 6.2A. - 230V. The setup has been working for about 10 years so no complaints but after the motor stopped I drew out the cct and found there was no power getting through the starter.
Looking at the cct it has not exactly been wired correctly. 2 sets of contacts in series for the Live and the other contact used for the N - That is no surprise here in Spain. It was the property boom when this was built and everyone was a plumber/builder/electrician!
I have a 16A breaker feeding this (next to it) and the feed from the house comes via an earth trip and an RCD.
So I will probably remove it.

Thanks
John

Attachments

• pool.jpg
    pool.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 20
So you have a relay running the pump and the SFKOI supplying power to a timer and the pump?

It's not exactly wired wrong like that. They just made sure to break both legs of the power.

By removing the SFK you'll lose the current protection it provides, but systems in the US are ran like that all the time, so I don't see that it'll hurt anything. However, if your local codes require the current protection separate from the panel breaker, you need to consider replacing it or repairing it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.