Severely neglected pool

Apr 12, 2018
NC
Hi, Not sure if this is the right spot for my question... I'm new here and know next to nothing about pools. I bought a home 2 years ago with an inground vinyl lined pool. Some fool a ways back thought it would be a good idea to let mature trees grow ALL around the pool fence and the canopy cover the pool. The previous elderly owner had not been caring for the pool for about 3 years before I bought it. I tried to start cleaning it out but the trees just dump tons of large branches, fruit, leaves, etc. in it every day and I cannot haul it myself. There is so much biomass in it that branches poke out of the water in the shallow end. Plus the liner is old, the concrete is starting to crack (trees I guess). The water is black, full of frogs and no doubt dead animals, mosquitoes, duckweed, etc. I am not in a position to have the trees removed and replace the liner, which is about 9 years old. I started to drain it last year to at least start getting rid of the mosquito problem and called the company that installed the last liner, and they said to leave the pool filled until I am ready to get the liner replaced because of the supporting material. So, it looks like I won't be able to afford to deal with this huge mess for at least another year. Should I drain it anyway? I can't cover it because branches fall into it every single day from the aging trees and a cover will not stay put. It's roughly 18' x 36'. I would love to eventually use this pool once before I die so I don't plan to fill it with dirt. Your wisdom, please and thank you!

I'll give you a bump and my 2 cents...

...I started to drain it last year to at least start getting rid of the mosquito problem and called the company that installed the last liner, and they said to leave the pool filled until I am ready to get the liner replaced because of the supporting material...

Unless others have any ideas, this is probably the best advice you can get. Depending on your area's water table and because you intend to use the pool again, draining the water for an extended period of time is risky.

Reactions: Arizonarob
My house was a foreclosure, and the bank had drained and boarded up the pool. It was cinderblock construction which ended up buckling. It was garbage at that point. I had to rip it out and go with a new pool construction.
The new pool needed to be on virgin ground, so the shape had to be slightly modified or major reinforcements would have had to be installed.
So, considering spending some money now, or major money later.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.