Sequestering Agent Question

Andrew Pumariega

In The Industry
May 17, 2020
Coconut Creek, FL
Hello everyone,

I own a company that performs "fireups" for builders and renovators. As part of this process, we add a significant amount of acid (4-6 gallons) and a quart of sequestering agent to the pool on the first visit. While I understand that this is a large quantity of acid, it is necessary due to the poor quality of workmanship on behalf of the plastering companies in our area of Florida, which do not adequately expose the aggregate.

I am wondering if this amount of acid might potentially break down the sequestering agent. If so, to what extent? We invest a lot of money in sequestering agents, and I don't want to waste it if the acid is completely breaking it down.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Andrew

The acid doesn’t affect the sequestering agent. High chlorine levels will oxidize the sequestering agent faster.

The acid doesn’t affect the sequestering agent. High chlorine levels will oxidize the sequestering agent faster.
Thank you for your prompt reply. We have been using XPH all-purpose stain remover, but we have tried many different products in the past. I was wondering if anyone on this forum has done a comparison or test to determine which sequestering agent provides the best value for money?

The comparison you want to look for is the % HEDP listed in the formulation of the SDS sheet assuming you are using a phosphonate based sequestering agent. For most scale and stain products, HEDP is the chemical of choice because it’s cheap & effective and has relatively good stability with chlorine. So, if you’re paying X dollars for one product and 1.5X dollars for another but the HEDP concentration is the same, then you’re overpaying for later product.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.