Semi-DIY Build in SE Louisiana

Wow, this is incredible! I found your thread while searching for examples of the tile we have chosen NPT Arctic Lagoon, although we will be using the 1x2 not the 1x1. Do you have any finished pictures of your pool and yard? You really did a great job.

Still moving along at about the same pace with some good progress in the last week. I have started the prep work for the glass tile. I did plenty of research on the what materials and method to use to install the glass. After changing my mind a couple hundred times, I went to a company that sells tiling materials and in about five minutes all of that research went out the window and I bought what the manager swears will be the best approach. I'm going with laticrete 254 for a thin base layer, hydroban to water seal, another later of 254 as thin set for the glass install. So far I am really impressed with the laticrete products.

First step was to smooth out the surface where the glass would be installed. I used a 3/8 inch piece of weather stripping underneath the coping to leave room for an expansion joint. Then I troweled in a relatively smooth layer of the 254 thin set. I could not get it exactly smooth, so I'll go back in tonight and use a hand sander and/or grinder to get out the seams and rough spots.

I had to figure out a way to make a 3/8 inch padding of thin set so that the overall glass height (off the surface of the pool) will be consistent with the height of the plaster. I used 3/8 piece of weather stripping to make a form for this.

Then I just smoothed out a layer of 254 thin set in the space.

The result was a very clean foundation for the glass. This really worked out great and I highly recommend spending the $100 on the weather stripping to make the job easier.

This weather stripping idea is the great idea! I was wondering what would be the easiest way to do my step tile. I'm going to steal that from you! Thanks a lot!!!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.