Self inviting pool guest?

We typically have a pool full of kids and friends on most weekends and it's ok with us. The wife and i were both "the kids that wished they had a pool" when we were kids ourselves and we remember what that was like so we don't mind sharing as long as the rules are followed. Everyone pitches in and helps with pool care and cleanup if they want to be invited back nd we've even got some friends who provide food and drinks since we are providing the pool. For us all of this creates good friendships nd memories and our kids absolutely love it. I guess it's mostly what you make it. For us it is not a problem and people understand when we tell them that we are just having a family day or weekend, but perhaps another day would be great. It is also pretty easy to get pool and pet sitting. The main thing is to simple be brutally honest (my personal technique) and tell kids and adults alike your rules and expectations up front so there's no mixed messages. Personally, I prefer for people to be straight forward and simply ask to swim. On occasion we have had to ban a kid for a week or two for various reasons , but they get over it and so do the parents I think this is mostly due to the telling them up front, nd we welcome them back after the time is up as long as they act right. Our pool our rules you may leave anytime you like, but if you tear things up nd don't help with cleaning up then you will not be welcome here. Bottom line is you paid for it so it is your choice. That's why it is a private pool.

We were having a little trouble with my in-laws that live next door. Anytime we were in, their kids were sure to see us and come down. Most of the time, I didn't mind, but once in a while it's nice just to swim with the big kids. Unfortunately (sort of, lol.) she is mad because I sent one of the kids home one afternoon, so we haven't been having that problem any more.

I don't think very many of us in this forum mind sharing at all. I know my wife and I don't mind at all. We love having friends and neighbors over, grilling out, and just enjoying our small piece of relaxation in the back yard.

I don't think the "issue" is the "pool guest" part. It's the "self inviting" part.

People who would consider it unmentionably rude if you came to their door and asked to watch their TV, or invited yourself in for dinner will think nothing of inviting themselves into your pool. Even more annoying are the constant pleading, whining, and puppy dog eyes of their kids.

Maybe it's different now, but when I grew up, we were taught that you don't invite yourself to...well..anything. You wait for an invitation, and are gracious when accepting it.

frogabog said:
Next time you find them in your pool, you could always just walk out of the house naked and then act surprised to see them. See how long it takes them to get out and go home... :twisted:

YES!!!!! Love it! I did this last weekend, My friends and I were pool side enjoying ourselves and low and behold my teenage daughter shows up and invites some friends, (OK I can deal with that) They swim for a bit then I say "Ya all got 15 min then your out!" One of the teenage boys said "Why?" I come back, " My pool, my rules and in about 14.5 minutes these trunks are coming off and its adult swim time :twisted: " Let me say this, they were out of the pool dressed and stuff picked up in 8 minutes"

The best part..... didn't even take off the shorts like I said "my pool,my rules!' nuff said!

But in regards to the OP I let people swim when they ask with the understanding that they clean up after themselves remove all things from the pool and help me clean when I ask them to. No comply with this = No swim for you

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.