Sealer for waterfall mortar joints & stone

jtech1

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 9, 2009
I have a waterfall with flagstone on top, and long stone beam on the front face. The beam is mortared to the gunite frame behind it, rests on supports on both sides, and is oriented so looking down from top you can see the layers in the stone. I have a salt water pool, and when the waterfall is on, water seeps into the mortar joint and drips out on the underside. Calcium stalactites form over time underneath, and I am sure the salt water is not great for the mortar joint itself, or the interior of the stone. I protect it from moisture in the winter with a cover so no water gets in and freezes, but I would also like to eliminate water from getting in in summer also. I have used 511 Impregnator for the last couple years, and it has helped, but the water is still getting in. Can anyone recommend a product that I can use on the entire top side of the waterfall that will essentially make the flagstone, mortar joints and rock beam waterproof without changing the color/sheen too much?

Thanks, Herman... but that is an adhesive. For sealing my waterfall stone and grout joints I am looking for a sealer. Something that will not change the look but will give a water tight seal so no water seeps in. Is the StoneTech Salt Water Sealer any better than the 511 Impregnator? Anything else better?

But that does being up another question... I have to reset some brownstone coping pieces... 12" by 2ft sections. A number of them are loose. Not sure what teh pool builder used, but it is not doing very well. I was looking to use an exterior modified thin set recommended for stone installation... Laticrete 254 Platinum. I assume that will perform better than plain old mortar, which I am guessing was the cheapest and probably used by my pool builder. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.