Sealant that can be applied underwater?

Sbp003

May 19, 2023
Leander, TX
Hello. I have some cracked skimmers that are leaking water, but I’m not able to empty the skimmer without draining the pool.

Are there sealant products that can be applied underwater to seal the cracks? I have tried epoxy putty and they are not holding. Looking for other product suggestions.

Why can't you lower the water level of the pool below the skimmer?

Try..

Hello. I have some cracked skimmers that are leaking water, but I’m not able to empty the skimmer without draining the pool.

Are there sealant products that can be applied underwater to seal the cracks? I have tried epoxy putty and they are not holding. Looking for other product suggestions.
Have you tried Atlas Chemicals Pool Putty or Anderson Leakmaster Pool Putty? They will adhere to a clean surface and cure underwater

It can be helpful to mix the 2-part putty epoxies (like the Anderson Leakmaster) with rubber gloves on to prevent any oils from your skin getting in it. I usually will take the gloves off after it is applied to try to squish it in the leak and also give it a nicer finish.

Why can't you lower the water level of the pool below the skimmer?
I’m struggling performing this action to be honest. I’ve closed off the skimmer lines at the valves and while water is below the skimmer, it is still above the equalizer intake so the skimmer continues to hold water.

I can’t also find a thin profile skimmer plug that will allow me to apply the epoxy with a skimmer plug. I tried a lacrosse ball, which helps drain the water but can’t easily get to the cracks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just bought the atlas mineral version; will apply this tomorrow. So I can apply this putty underwater correct?
Yes, I've done it many times. It is an "almost" permanent repair as whatever caused the crack in the first place may cause more movement and the epoxy, while strong, and while it can patch a hole, won't hold the parts together. You're putting a strong "band-aid" over a leak. I have one that is still holding after about 15 years and others that failed in a year or two.
Unfortunately, the best repair is a skimmer replacement, but that may not be needed for a long time, if ever.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.