Screwed up: non-chlorine bleach went into pool.

Tekcor

Aug 4, 2014
Columbia, CT
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I normally by my bleach at BJ's. For whatever reason, the standard blue box was gone and a pink box in its place. Same price, same location, so figured it was just a new color scheme.

It wasn't until I dumped 6 gallons worth into my 20k gallon pool that I noticed the fragrance and foaming. It has no sodium hypochlorite at all, so best case scenario, I just did nothing to my pool and wasted $20.

But I'm concerned about the worst case. What should I expect to happen? Obviously I'll need to get some actual chlorine. But will it harm anything or any swimmers?

Last edited:
Chlorox Fresh Meadow Splash-Less Bleach. It lists no active ingredients.

Well, the good news is it's bleach, just weak bleach (~ 3-5% sodium hypochlorite).

The bad news is it is splashless which means it has a thickening agent in it that is going to cause foaming. You're only option there is to use regular bleach and hold your FC above target levels until the foam goes away. Shock levels are certainly ok BUT this stuff is designed to withstand concentrated bleach so it's just going to take time to dissipate.

Really? It specifically says "not for sanitization" and lists no sodium hypochlorite at all.

But it sounds like it's just annoying, not really harmful. Which I'm ok. Not happy about, of course, but what is done is done.

Really? It specifically says "not for sanitization" and lists no sodium hypochlorite at all.

But it sounds like it's just annoying, not really harmful. Which I'm ok. Not happy about, of course, but what is done is done.

Because it's low % NaOCl. If you look up the MSDS, you can see it is reported to have 3-5% sodium hypochlorite. Product labelling requirements depend on hazard levels and intended (marketed) use.

So yes, it's basically a nuisance. Just keep your FC elevated and the foaming will eventually go away.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.