Screenlogic 2 Protocol Adapter - Network issue

johnnybpr

May 16, 2024
Hosuton
Hi All,

First post here!

I have a Pentair Screenlogic2 protocol adapter. All of a sudden, a few days ago I was unable to connect to the PA via the app.

Current LEDs
The antenna has pwr solid green, the rx and tx lights blink and the brick itself has the red LED light on and on the ethernet side, I only see one solid green led. I do not see any activity on the yellow led. The yellow LED is always off. My ethernet switch also does not show any activity when connecting the PA, as if no cable is connected in the ethernet port. I swapped ethernet cables and no luck. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

John,

Sounds like the ethernet chip inside the Protocol Adapter is dead, but I do not know that for a fact... :(

Let's see if Tom has any input... Calling @ogdento

Edit.. Have you recently mad ANY changes to your network??

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hi Jim,

Thanks so much for the info!

No changes at all to the network. Same router, same unmanaged switch, and I reserve the ip address for the Screenlogic PA.

It is so strange I don't see any activity on the yellow LED light... just like you mentioned on your post as if the ethernet adapter chip is dead... nothing on the switch either. Tried different ports and cables.

Thanks again for the help!

Best,
John

I'm assuming that the ports on your switch are working with other devices. also, I'm assuming that if you look at your router's home page you don't see the protocol adapter on the network (i.e. it's not just that the leds on the protocol adapter are dead... I've never seen the leds in an ethernet jack fail by themselves, but there's a first for everything!)

have you done a hard reset on the protocol adapter? i believe the sequence is press reset, wait a few seconds, press it again, and then press it again (so 3 presses) @Jimrahbe does that sound right?

No activity at all could mean a dead ethernet chip as Jim said... in which you're probably out of luck because the ethernet chip is on the
lower "Rabbit board" that's inside the protocol adapter, and that board is quite sensitive (the protocol adapter has two inter-connected boards inside). I don't know anybody who's successfully repaired or replaced the Rabbit board. Here's a pic:
IMG_20230504_142331624.jpg

The top board has the power led, green comm port connector and a comm chip, which frequently fries in storms when it's hard-wired to the outdoor panel but you're using a wireless link so I'm doubtful it's been zapped... see this link for a picture of a zapped "top board" (scroll down to my post for zoomed out photos):

If the comm chip IS dead then it may be repairable... a good first test would be to see how much current the board is drawing. it should be about 60-65mA... if it's more than that then some part inside is bad.

John,

What I know about how the ethernet works you could write on the head of a pin... :mrgreen:

Most of my posts are based upon my personal experience with the problem.

In my case, my ScreenLogic just works.. So, just to be sure, I got a ladder so I could get up to the top of a cabinet so I could see the backside of my Protocol Adapter.. The two small holes both have lights.. One is green and appears to be solid.. the other is yellow and is continually fast blinking..
I assume that is how it should be.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I'm assuming that the ports on your switch are working with other devices. also, I'm assuming that if you look at your router's home page you don't see the protocol adapter on the network (i.e. it's not just that the leds on the protocol adapter are dead... I've never seen the leds in an ethernet jack fail by themselves, but there's a first for everything!)

have you done a hard reset on the protocol adapter? i believe the sequence is press reset, wait a few seconds, press it again, and then press it again (so 3 presses) @Jimrahbe does that sound right?

No activity at all could mean a dead ethernet chip as Jim said... in which you're probably out of luck because the ethernet chip is on the
lower "Rabbit board" that's inside the protocol adapter, and that board is quite sensitive (the protocol adapter has two inter-connected boards inside). I don't know anybody who's successfully repaired or replaced the Rabbit board. Here's a pic:
View attachment 573551

The top board has the power led, green comm port connector and a comm chip, which frequently fries in storms when it's hard-wired to the outdoor panel but you're using a wireless link so I'm doubtful it's been zapped... see this link for a picture of a zapped "top board" (scroll down to my post for zoomed out photos):

If the comm chip IS dead then it may be repairable... a good first test would be to see how much current the board is drawing. it should be about 60-65mA... if it's more than that then some part inside is bad.
Hi Ogdento,

Thanks so much for your help.

Good question, yes the ports on the switch are working with other devices and I am not able to see the protocol adapter on the list of devices connected to my router.

Regarding the hard reset, yes I have done multiple hard resets but still no ethernet adapter activity on the yellow light of the PA or on my switch.

I forgot to mention, a few minutes ago, I also swapped the CR2032 battery, just in case but no luck.

So far signs are pointing that the rabbit board's ethernet chip might be toast.

Thanks for all the help!

Best,
John

John,

What I know about how the ethernet works you could write on the head of a pin... :mrgreen:

Most of my posts are based upon my personal experience with the problem.

In my case, my ScreenLogic just works.. So, just to be sure, I got a ladder so I could get up to the top of a cabinet so I could see the backside of my Protocol Adapter.. The two small holes both have lights.. One is green and appears to be solid.. the other is yellow and is continually fast blinking..
I assume that is how it should be.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Hi Jim,

Thanks for checking!

Exactly, that is what I was expecting, two led lights on the back one flashing yellow for activity and the other solid green. All I have right now is a solid green light.

Best,
John

Reactions: Jimrahbe
I started to look at the ethernet port itself.. I am not getting continuity from the wires of an ethernet cable to the ethernet port pins on the board itself.. I am going to start there. Looks like the port itself could be busted.

Side note and random question. Has anyone tried to replace the whole rabbit board? I see it is on Mouser Electronics for 88.55 - https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Digi/20-101-1328?qs=PANMQVV8pCxUgu/FbX7ZQg==

Just wondering if anyone has tried that path -> getting the Rabbit flashed or updated to work with the Pentair board on the other side.

Thanks all.

Best,
John

The battery is just to keep the real time clock running, and the ethernet jack has built-in "magnetics" so you won't see any continuity... essentially there's a coil between each line on the rj45 input and the pins. It looks something like this: https://wayconn.com/wp-content/uploads/datasheet/MJT11-G80661102XX.pdf

As for swapping the rabbit board... I've wanted to try it for a long time but I couldn't find all of the files to flash it, and I wasn't sure if anything else - like a bootloader or something - had to be flashed first. I was recently talking with @starrock77 and he HAS tried to swap in a new rabbit board... maybe he can add his experience... it would be great if a $90 board can be used to revive a $400 item

however I thought you had NO ethernet leds, but it seems you do have a green light... if you use something like wireshark, do you see any ARP requests from the protocol adapter when you power it up? (you should see those before it gets an actual ip address on the network). If that doesn't work, and since you do have a green light on the ethernet, maybe the adapter IS powering up but is just "bricked" in that the firmware got scrambled (a good probability if the current draw is within range). If you get on a call with Pentair support they may be able to remotely flash it and get it back up in running.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support