Screen logic scheduling for short term rental guests.

Yetilagoon

Jun 5, 2017
San Diego Ca
So, my House and Pool/Spa are rented out to short term renters. Average stay is about 4 days. Guests have full access to the spa side remote which is factored into the price per night. Pool heating is not an option.
Here is the problem. My schedule is set to pool mode and cleaning mode from 8am to 5pm. When somebody uses the spa during that timeframe the pool and cleaner mode automatically stops..of course. But when they stop the spa or the egg timer stops it, the pool mode and cleaner restart thus pouring all the hot water over the spillway to the pool. Repeat this about 2-3 times a day and you can see what the problem here is.

I'm looking for a solution to this. I could just run the pool and cleaner mode in the wee hours of the night say 1am to 9am for example but then the water during the day quickly becomes dead...ish while the families are trying to enjoy the water and pool.
Theres gotta be a way?

You would have to change the way the spillover spa works.
Do you now have a make up line or is your return actuated valve partially open to the spa all the time?

You would have to change the way the spillover spa works.
Do you now have a make up line or is your return actuated valve partially open to the spa all the time?
I'm not really sure. When in pool or cleaner mode the spa water trickles over the spillway. When in spa mode it recirculates only the spa with no spill. I'm not really sure there is a solution to this as my whole system is run off of one pump. Unless there is a valve somewhere that can be closed so that water doesn't circulate out of spa when in pool mode? But then there is the problem of the spa getting funky without the circulation and cleaning during cleaning mode. And this is all run remotely so really nobody to manually turn valves on a schedule.

I ask as you can change how the Spillover operates. Your EasyTouch (assume you have that - a Signature would help us help you) can schedule a Spillover function. That would eliminate the constant trickle over the spillway and you program the Spillover to change out the water in the spa to chlorinated water when you wish.

That's interesting. I have screen logic 8. 20,000 gal inground pool with connected raised spa. With spillway function.
So, find and adjust the valve that controls the trickle over the spillway in pool mode and cut it back so there is no trickle?
Then I would be able to run the pool and cleaner during the day and keep the spa water in the spa. Then at night when all are sleeping program the spillway for however long to cycle the water?

find and adjust the valve that controls the trickle over the spillway in pool mode and cut it back so there is no trickle?
There are two ways that that trickle can be accomplished. Here's what to look for:

First way is with a bypass pipe between pool return and spa return, with an inline valve to adjust the flow. To stop the trickle if you have this sort of setup, just close the valve in the red square:

bypass1.jpg

Second way is by adjusting the pool/spa return valve so it doesn't completely close off the spa side when it's switched to the pool side. To stop the trickle if you have this setup, remove the valve top cover and readjust the valve to direct 100% of the water to the pool:

bypass2.jpg

Good luck.

Last edited:
There are two ways that that trickle might be accomplished in your setup. Here's what to look for:

First way is with a bypass pipe between pool return and spa return, with an inline valve to adjust the flow. To stop the trickle here, just close the valve in the red square:

View attachment 434647

Second way is by adjusting the pool/spa return valve so it doesn't completely close off the spa side when it's switched to the pool side. To stop the trickle here, remove the valve top cover and readjust the valve to direct 100% of the water to the pool:

View attachment 434662

Good luck.
Thanks for the pictures and help. What control "remotely" will I loose if I close the valve in the red square? Wouldn't I loose the ability to run the spillway? Or to cycle the water in the spa back to the pool?

Thanks for the pictures and help. What control "remotely" will I loose if I close the valve in the red square? Wouldn't I loose the ability to run the spillway? Or to cycle the water in the spa back to the pool?
No, you wouldn't lose the Spillway mode. In addition to the Return valve shown in my photo, which selects between sending filtered water back to the pool or to the spa, there is also a Suction valve that selects between pulling water from the pool or from the spa. You'll see them both move when you switch between pool and spa mode.

Two valves, with two independent positions each, means 4 combinations:
  • Pool mode: Suction is set to the pool and Return is set to the pool. Water flows from the pool skimmer(s) and drain(s), to the pump, and back to the pool. (And currently, a little bit of water takes the scenic route, first bypassing the Return valve and going to the spa, then trickling over the spillway into the pool.)
  • Spa mode: Suction is set to spa and Return is set to spa. The water circulates from the spa drain to the pump and back to the spa jets.
  • Spillway mode (sometimes also called Fill mode, because it fills the spa from the pool): Suction is set to pool and Return is set to spa. So water is pulled from the pool skimmers/drains but sent back to the spa jets. This mode will still be available even if you close the bypass valve that's providing the trickle in Pool mode.
  • Drain mode: Suction is set to spa and return is set to pool. This pumps water from the spa to the pool, and it can damage your pump if the spa is allowed to empty completely. It can also overflow your pool. There's ordinarily no reason to use this mode.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I see wow. Thank you. Gonna test first thing in the morning. (y)THANK YOU!
No, you wouldn't lose the Spillway mode. In addition to the Return valve shown in my photo, which selects between sending filtered water back to the pool or to the spa, there is also a Suction valve that selects between pulling water from the pool or from the spa. You'll see them both move when you switch between pool and spa mode.

• Pool mode: Suction is set to the pool and Return is set to the pool. Water flows from the pool skimmer(s) and drain(s), to the pump, and back to the pool. (And currently, a little bit of water takes the scenic route, first bypassing the Return valve and going to the spa, then trickling over the spillway into the pool.)
  • Spa mode: Suction is set to spa and Return is set to spa. The water circulates from the spa drain to the pump and back to the spa jets.
  • Spillway mode: Suction is set to pool and Return is set to spa. So water is pulled from the pool skimmers/drains but sent back to the spa jets. This mode will still be available even if you close the bypass valve that's providing the trickle in Pool mode.
  • Drain mode: Suction is set to spa and return is set to pool. This pumps water from the spa to the pool, and it can damage your pump if the spa is allowed to empty completely. It can also overflow your pool. There's ordinarily no reason to use this mode.

Well that worked like a charm. I tested every scenario and we're all good! I'm actually able to run the waterfalls features now too while in pool/cleaner mode. It's a manual valve that I thought was out of the question. Now I just need to set a schedule to run the spillway every night to circulate the spa with chlorinated water for the next days usage.
One last thing, Is there a setting in the IS4 spa side remote program for OFF? (so I could put a sticker on that programmed button that says OFF) Where it shuts off the spa and jets or any other function operating in the IS4? I don't think people understand that to turn off the spa when they are done is to push spa again, or jets again. Or even if they care. Most of the time they just get out and the egg timer will turn it off later (set to 90 minutes). With an OFF button it might help them to conserve. I wouldn't bet on it though. Kids have been a nightmare! turning it on and off and leaving it to run forgetting about it and etc etc etc.. This is all part of the business so I am not losing sleep over it. Just want to get the settings right to at least conserve to the best of my ability without losing the hospitality that I'm providing and they are paying for. Cheers brothers!

• Spillway mode: Suction is set to pool and Return is set to spa. So water is pulled from the pool skimmers/drains but sent back to the spa jets. This mode will still be available even if you close the bypass valve that's providing the trickle in Pool mode.

Attachments

• wf1.jpg
    wf1.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 1
  • wf2.jpg
    wf2.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 1
  • wf3.jpg
    wf3.jpg
    960.7 KB · Views: 1
Set the Egg Timer for a shorter time. Say 30 minutes. To restart it they just push it again.

I do not think a button can be programmed to off. It is linked to a Circuit Function or AUX. It could swap to Pool Mode, but that would likely mess up your scheduling.

Thanks Marty, The dilemma is it takes about 30 minutes to heat up the spa (I have it set to 100dg) If it's on an egg timer for 30 min it will shut off right about when it hits the set temp. (which now that I think about it may not be a bad idea) I figured 90 minutes was fair as most adults usually only spend about an hour in the hot spa and could figure out that if they wanted more time they would hit the spa button again. Kids on the other hand yikes. Maybe 60 minutes is the sweet spot.

Reactions: mknauss
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.