kawisser

Sep 1, 2022
Indianapolis, IN
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I'm using my pool heater for the first time and wondering how you all set things up so it doesn't trigger error codes. I understand that there needs to be a certain level of water flow in order for the heater to operate. This requires that the pump be running at a certain speed - higher than "normal" for me. But I don't know exactly when the heater will kick on, so how can I know when to set the pump to a higher speed, unless my pump is just always running on high?

Have you done any experimenting to determine the RPM necessary to run the heater? The best method is to set the lowest pump speed high enough to activate the heater.
It ran for a while at 2500 before it overheated. Then I changed it to 3000 and it ran for hours. So I'd guess the lowest is very close to 2500. But I don't want it to ALWAYS run at 2500 (or 3000).

t ran for a while at 2500 before it overheated
What do you meant by "overheated." My understanding is that if there's insufficient flow to close the pressure switch, the heat will shut down and the "Service System" light will activate.

@ajw22 may be able to comment on whether you can just allow the pressure switch to cut heat when there is insufficient flow?

What do you meant by "overheated." My understanding is that if there's insufficient flow to close the pressure switch, the heat will shut down and the "Service System" light will activate.

@ajw22 may be able to comment on whether you can just allow the pressure switch to cut heat when there is insufficient flow?
I thought it requires certain water flow to prevent scalding. That's what I meant.

Here is what the manual says about running pumps at low speeds:

Occasionally a two-speed pump will not develop enough pressure on the low speed to operate the heater. In this case, run
the pump at high speed only to operate the heater. If this does not solve the problem, do not try to run the heater. Instead,
correct the installation.

Do not operate the heater while an automatic pool cleaner is also operating. If the circulation pump suction is plugged (for
example by leaves), there may not be adequate flow to the heater. Do not rely on the pressure switch in this case.

How do you currently control the heater?

Here is what the manual says about running pumps at low speeds:

Occasionally a two-speed pump will not develop enough pressure on the low speed to operate the heater. In this case, run
the pump at high speed only to operate the heater. If this does not solve the problem, do not try to run the heater. Instead,
correct the installation.

Do not operate the heater while an automatic pool cleaner is also operating. If the circulation pump suction is plugged (for
example by leaves), there may not be adequate flow to the heater. Do not rely on the pressure switch in this case.

How do you currently control the heater?
By hand, on/off button. But don't most people like to run their pump even slower than I am? I guess they must have to plan ahead of time if they ever want to heat the pool?

But don't most people like to run their pump even slower than I am?
Plumbing systems vary by design, capacity, and equipment used. You have a 1.5 hp VS pump that needs to work harder to create the same amount of flow as a 3 hp VS pump. My pump needs about 1,500 rpm to close the pressure switch on my heater. Before I added automation I turned my heater on and off manually while the pump was running. I now use a relatively inexpensive Sonoff WiFi switch to control my heater remotely. The newest version of the switch is the Sonoff THR316 Smart Temp/Switch. You would need to add a temp sensor and thermowell if you want to control the heater based on temp. Here is a post that describes my system.

By hand, on/off button. But don't most people like to run their pump even slower than I am? I guess they must have to plan ahead of time if they ever want to heat the pool?
Your MasterTemp 250 requires at least 25GPM.

Without automation if you want to run your pump slower when not heating it means you have to press two buttons when you want heat. Press heater ON and press a higher speed button on your pump control panel.

When you turn the heater OFF you select a lower speed on the pump control panel.

IMG_1076.png

Your MasterTemp 250 requires at least 25GPM.

Without automation if you want to run your pump slower when not heating it means you have to press two buttons when you want heat. Press heater ON and press a higher speed button on your pump control panel.

When you turn the heater OFF you select a lower speed on the pump control panel.

View attachment 529327
Thanks for saying that. I thought that was the only way, but was hoping for a different answer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.