mavitia22

Jun 27, 2023
La Vernia, Tx
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hello. So, I see some scaling on the outer part of the cell plates. I'm gonna have my husband open it up this weekend to look inside.
Also, I felt a rough patch, about 12 inch area, on the wall of my fiberglass, next to the skimmer. I went around the perimeter, as far down as my arm would reach, and only felt it on that one spot. Could that also be scaling?
My #s:
FC -5
PH- 7.8
TA- 60
CH- 160
CYA- 30? ( not raising until I get more reagent, Pool store last month said 37, this month 46, my taylor test?? Black dot never disappeared, need to be sure)
SALT 2800 (SWG reads 3100)
TEMP -92

What am I doing wrong? I previously had CH at 120. Manufacturer said not go above that cuz I would see scaling with PH at 7.8. But did I listen?? No. I raised it cuz I didn't like the water having such negative CSI. And I like the TA at 60 cuz it keeps my PH at 7.8.

But now, I'm wondering if the man from the manufacturer was right. Is having my PH consistently at 7.8 and not adding acid ok? I haven't added acid in about 2 or 3 weeks ,as opposed to twice a week before when my TA was 70-90.

I even think I would like to add more calcium eventually, as temps start to drop, I'm gonna need to balance the CSI somehow.

I just thought I wouldn't get scaling cuz my CSI has always been fairly close to that -0.3 range, sometimes a little higher and sometimes a little lower.

I'm confused and mostly scared of any damage to the fiberglass. Pool is only 3 months old. Any help is appreciated.

To summarize:
1. Why is there scale in cell if I've always had negative CSI? (See pic)
2. Could the rough patch on wall also be scale?
3. Is it ok to keep 7.8 PH and not lower if that's where it just stays?
4. If I raise CYA, do I need to raise TA to account for carbonate alkalinity? (I don't know if I really understand this part. Forgive me, I'm new.)

Thank you!

Attachments

• 20230803_162443~2.jpg
    20230803_162443~2.jpg
    387.5 KB · Views: 9
Hello. So, I see some scaling on the outer part of the cell plates. I'm gonna have my husband open it up this weekend to look inside.
Also, I felt a rough patch, about 12 inch area, on the wall of my fiberglass, next to the skimmer. I went around the perimeter, as far down as my arm would reach, and only felt it on that one spot. Could that also be scaling?
My #s:
FC -5
PH- 7.8
TA- 60
CH- 160
CYA- 30? ( not raising until I get more reagent, Pool store last month said 37, this month 46, my taylor test?? Black dot never disappeared, need to be sure)
SALT 2800 (SWG reads 3100)
TEMP -92

What am I doing wrong? I previously had CH at 120. Manufacturer said not go above that cuz I would see scaling with PH at 7.8. But did I listen?? No. I raised it cuz I didn't like the water having such negative CSI. And I like the TA at 60 cuz it keeps my PH at 7.8.

But now, I'm wondering if the man from the manufacturer was right. Is having my PH consistently at 7.8 and not adding acid ok? I haven't added acid in about 2 or 3 weeks ,as opposed to twice a week before when my TA was 70-90.

I even think I would like to add more calcium eventually, as temps start to drop, I'm gonna need to balance the CSI somehow.

I just thought I wouldn't get scaling cuz my CSI has always been fairly close to that -0.3 range, sometimes a little higher and sometimes a little lower.

I'm confused and mostly scared of any damage to the fiberglass. Pool is only 3 months old. Any help is appreciated.

To summarize:
1. Why is there scale in cell if I've always had negative CSI? (See pic)
2. Could the rough patch on wall also be scale?
3. Is it ok to keep 7.8 PH and not lower if that's where it just stays?
4. If I raise CYA, do I need to raise TA to account for carbonate alkalinity? (I don't know if I really understand this part. Forgive me, I'm new.)

Thank you!
Update: I got in the pool tonight, and I felt several rough spots on the walls. 🤷‍♀️

You do not need to “balance the CSI” of a fiberglass pool.

Negative CSI is meaningless to a fiberglass pool.

You asking about carbonate alkalinity says you are trying to mix methods. Carbonate alkalinity does not apply to TFP methods. PoolMath takes that into account automatically. Mixing methods leads to confusion.

The inside of a generating SWG cell has different water chemistry then the pool which is why it can scale when the water chemistry looks good.

I doubt the roughness you are feeling is from scale.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.