scale buildup of some kind

jolla

Jun 19, 2021
Central TX
I'm trying to determine if I have calcium scaling, efflorescence, or what.. and of course then what to do about it.

My pool is about 2 years old. Standard in-ground, pebble tec plaster.
It has a large tile spillover from the raised spa to the pool. (7' diameter spa, spillover accounts for about 50% of it)
They way the pool is plumbed, I cannot run the pump without the spillover running, so I have fairly constantly rising PH I haven't yet been able to get under control.
I've been pretty good about acid additions, but it does climb up above 8 from time to time if I don't check for a week or so.
The ONLY chemicals I've ever put in the pool are CYA, liquid chlorine, and acid.

As you can see in the pics, I'm getting build up around the spillover in various places.
I am not noticing the buildup in other areas around the pool, only where water runs from the spa spillover.

It breaks off without much effort with a screwdriver, and feels a bit gritty.
I tossed a few chunks into a pyrex glass with a tablespoon of (undiluted) muriatic acid and it sizzled like bacon.

Latest test results (recommended Taylor kit):
CH: 500
TA: 50
PH: 7.6
CYA: 40
FC: 3.0

I'm a little confused on the CH test - because I tested my tap water (twice) and got 50 CH.
I live in Austin, TX and we have "moderately hard" water which google tells me should be around 186 ppm "hardness". (I don't know if that's the same a CH).
I noticed when testing that the blue drops (R0011L) are much smaller than others in the test kit and much harder to squeeze out.
I even popped the cap off and cleaned it out, but still the same - seems the hole is smaller - not sure if by design or I have a bad bottle.

What am I dealing with here?

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• pool3.jpg
    pool3.jpg
    779.2 KB · Views: 12
  • pool2.jpg
    pool2.jpg
    784.8 KB · Views: 12
  • pool1.jpg
    pool1.jpg
    359.5 KB · Views: 12
So roughly, efflorescence = Mineral saturated water seeps out through grout and evaporates, leaving the minerals behind.

But if that was the case, why am I primarily seeing it in places where water actively flows for 6+ hours a day on the pump schedule?
Wouldn't the water wash the minerals back into the pool before they had time to set up?
It'd make more sense if I was seeing it on the tile above the waterline all around the pool, rather than the spillover.

The water overflowing the spillover gets behind the tiles through cracks in the grout and saturates the gunite. The water flows down and chooses where it exits at grout lines and carries efflorescence with it picked up from the gunite.

The minerals are hard and grow and don't get washed away by the water flow.

Reactions: 1poolman1