Annapolis MD
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I’m having to re-install my filter, pump and SWG, so it’s an opportune time to upgrade some of the components.

I’m looking at the Pentair IntelliFlo3 because it can also control my SWG, but at $1,700 I need more than a whim to spend the money.

I used the Pentair online calculator to calculate the savings and it says I can save $500 per year based on the old 1hp pump operating 13 hours per day for 6 months of the year at .1326/kWh.

This is almost sounds too good to be true. Is this what others have experienced when making the switch?

I’d love to hear others’ experience.

I run my VSP (original IntelliFlo, 10 years old) 18 hours per day at the height of the pool season. Costs me maybe $25-$30 per month. I DO NOT run my single speed 1.5HP waterfall pump more than 45mins per day because if I did it would cost more in a day than my VSP does all month. Suffice it to say, the SSP pump is going to the landfill as soon as it causes even a hint of problems.

I'm new to the pool world, but my calculations say I'm paying around $8/month running 24/7 at 1250RPM (117 Watts @.09/KWH)

1682988924738.png

Don't take Pentair's word for it.

There are two things I have on my pool that are non-negotiable - a variable speed pump and a salt water chlorine generator. If I could not have either pieces of equipment, there would a dump truck full of earth and an excavator in my driveway the next morning to fill in my pool.

What's more important to you? Reducing upfront cost or long term reliability and convenience?
Long term cost and convenience. It looks like the VSP will pay for itself pretty quickly. But I also have some hard earned skepticism about new technology. If my power provided an energy savings rebate, it would seal the deal, but they don’t.

Long term cost and convenience. It looks like the VSP will pay for itself pretty quickly. But I also have some hard earned skepticism about new technology. If my power provided an energy savings rebate, it would seal the deal, but they don’t.
Yeah, I just upgrade to a VSP and kicking myself for not doing it a couple years ago when BGE was doing rebates in Maryland

I have an old IntelliFlo and it runs 24/7, mostly at 1200 RPM. I can do that for less than $20 bucks a month. (Really more like $13) Keep in mind the newer IntelliFlos and the IntelliFlo3 are much more energy efficient than my old pump.

The IntelliFlo is the gold standard of pool pumps. You get what you pay for.

And the bigger the pump, the slower you can run it and still move a lot of water. When I first got it, I actually had to touch it a couple times just to make sure it was still running... :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
And the bigger the pump, the slower you can run it and still move a lot of water. When I first got it, I actually had to touch it a couple times just to make sure it was still running... :mrgreen:
This is an important point. You save money and you eliminate all appreciable noise from operating a pool.
I don’t know why - but several years in - I’m still surprised by how quiet the VSP really is…

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Mine is brand new and at 1000 rpm 24/7 i think I’m spending 14$ a month. I second the noise benefit too… at 2700 rpm you can hear it in the house.. at low speed you can’t hear it standing next to it…

It is hyper efficient too — i only need 700 rpm for my flow switch but the good people here told me that minimum 1000 rpm was the sweet spot for efficiency…

Your goal is long term cost. As many mentioned, you can run the 3 hp at lower RPMs than the 1.5 hp to move the same amount of water.

Make sure you take a look at your filter specs. You typically want your filter to be oversized for your pump that way it can handle it at any speed. It’s okay if it’s not, just make sure you remember that and set your high speed accordingly.

I’ve still got a lot to learn about VSPs, but running continuously at low speed seems like the way to go.

By the way and I know I’ll get some flack for this, but my pool doesn’t get used so I’m only running the pump and SWG to fight algae.

By the way and I know I’ll get some flack for this, but my pool doesn’t get used so I’m only running the pump and SWG to fight algae.

Does this mean that you don't use the pool at all, or that it just does not get much use?

No need to answer if you don't want to, but why not use the pool? Maybe you'll find the saltwater more inviting.

Either way, you need to keep the pool clear or fill it in, as you don't want a big swamp in your back yard.. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

It is hyper efficient too — i only need 700 rpm for my flow switch but the good people here told me that minimum 1000 rpm was the sweet spot for efficiency…
The general rule of thumb is find the lowest rpm that satisfies the flow switch. From there add ~200 rpm to account for your filter getting dirty and reducing flow. Just wanted to add that context - there's nothing magical about 1000 rpm.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
The general rule of thumb is find the lowest rpm that satisfies the flow switch. From there add ~200 rpm to account for your filter getting dirty and reducing flow. Just wanted to add that context - there's nothing magical about 1000 rpm.
I had applied that rule and was at 800 or 900 I think, but some of the guides said don’t go below 1000 for the intelliflo3 so i bumped it up a bit. 🤷‍♂️

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.