Saving sod?

Azmp1

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 20, 2012
Maryland
Folks is it possible to save and replant sod?
We've just bought a new house and about to embark on the new pool building adventure and I want to see if am able to remove the sod from the area pool is going to, roll it up and then replant in the damaged areas. The back lawn has such a beautiful grass that it would be a shame to lose, previous owner telling me he had top quality top soil brought when he built the house. Anyway I can save the sod?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You might be able to rent a sod-cutter that cuts the sod underneath, so you can roll it up and then re-lay it, but as mentioned, you need to do it fairly soon (less than a week). If you need to keep it longer, then lay it out in a flat 'nursery' area and take care of it. Then you would re-cut it and lay it back where it was. You might find that it's cheaper and more practical to buy new sod, and in that case, try to find out what grass you have.

If there's good soil underneath, and there's excavation happening, it is likely to be worthwhile to have the top soil scraped off and stockpiled for return to the lawn area or other areas where you'll be growing stuff.

Thank you folks for all the responses. Very helpful. I definitely wouldn't be able it to re-lay the sod quickly, may take months, so more then likely the sod is toast, but I like the idea of saving the top solid and then reusing it. Will look into that.

We had a patio built last year and had several areas in my yard that needed some grass. We were able to save most of it but it was a lot of work and without tamping it down it's rather bumpy and uneven. Giving it lots of water after laying is the key. It has to be laid within a few days of digging up.

We had a patio built last year and had several areas in my yard that needed some grass. We were able to save most of it but it was a lot of work and without tamping it down it's rather bumpy and uneven. Giving it lots of water after laying is the key. It has to be laid within a few days of digging up.

Yeah I think I'm pretty much out of luck on saving that sod, as it will definitely ne more then few days, even weeks before the sod is replanted. I may just move it over to few areas in front of the house where the grass is not as good.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.