Saving Costs on SWCG Install

Different capacity SWG have different prices.
Ask them what exact brand SWG system and the capacity they are proposing and also for the scope of work entailed.

With a 25k pool, you should be looking for a SWG with a 60k capacity.
With a single speed pump, you will want to run the SWG at 100% to minimize pump run time to that needed to produce the required FC in the shortest amount of time.

Installing a VS pump, along with a SWG, will save money on electricity in the long run.

Many here have ordered online. Some have self installed and some have had a handyman or their pool guy install it.
I ordered a Circupool system and installed it myself. The warranty is valid for self installs with that brand.
Thank you so much - this is super helpful!

Reactions: proavia
Thank you for this - I didn't know there was such a thing!
Here is a screen shot of the calculation. Maintained the pump run time at 10hrs and set output to 4ppm of FC which is needed in summer.
This would require the Pentair IC60 to be set at 100%. If you run your pump longer then the % output can be lowered to produce the same amount of daily FC.
IMG_0364.png

Reactions: 2neuges
Here is a screen shot of the calculation. Maintained the pump run time at 10hrs and set output to 4ppm of FC which is needed in summer.
This would require the Pentair IC60 to be set at 100%. If you run your pump longer then the % output can be lowered to produce the same amount of daily FC.
View attachment 528035
Thank you! So is running a salt cell at 100% not usually recommended? I don't know what's normal and what's not...

Thank you! So is running a salt cell at 100% not usually recommended? I don't know what's normal and what's not...
It just calculated out that way but if SWCG at 100% then to lower it, your only variable is to increase pump speed to achieve a given FC output. Running your SWCG at 100% consumes max hours of its life.

Ideally, as stated above, if you also change to a Variable Speed Pump, it provides much more flexibility on run time because you only need to run at a lower speed to activate the SWCG and your energy cost to run the pump at a low speed drops tremendously. However, buying a VS pump and a SWCG can be a big upfront cost, there are lots of saving in the long run.

Running a SWG at 100% for 1 hour is the same as running it at 50% for 2 hours and 25% for 4 hours.
Most all mainstream SWG available in the US are either on or off. The percentage doesn't alter the SWG output during times the SWG is on - the percentage has to do with on and off periods during the SWG duty cycle.

SWG set 50% will be on for 1/2 its cycle.
My Circupool SWG has a 180 minute cycle.at 50%, it's on for 90 minutes and off for 90 minutes.
Other manufacturers have different cycles.

Pump speed needs to be sufficient to close the flow switch. Running at a higher pump speed than necessary to satisdy the flow switch will not make the SWG produce more or less chlorine.

Hello,
We are looking at converting our pool to salt next spring and I feel like I'm drowning in all of the research and options. Please help!
We currently have a single speed Pentair pump that I run for 10 hours/day.
We are looking at SWCG, and meanwhile I'm wondering if we would regret installing a SWCG without also upgrading our pump to variable speed? Nothing is wrong with our current pump, but it's my understanding that SWCG work best with VS pumps? Otherwise I'd have to run my SWCG at 100% to meet chlorine demands?
It's not like I'm looking to spend extra money...ever. Budget is tight. But I also realize that places offer bundle deals on pumps and SWCG. Any thoughts?
If I end up upgrading the pump, how do I know what pump I need and what pump will work with our current plumbing and pool demands?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.