TFP Guide
Jun 7, 2018
Alamo, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We recently installed a water feature in our back yard. It is not related to the pool at all. It has an auto-fill from our fresh water supply. It uses UV light somewhere underneath to sanitize the recirculating water. The UV light is on a separate relay from the water pump. Our contractor was not specific about when and how long to run the UV, basically saying we don't need to run it all the time, just when the water doesn't look clear.

We have no experience using UV to sanitize water. Do any of you out there have ideas on how long and how often to run it?

wf.jpg

UV works well in aquarium and pond use for algae control. As far as usage, if you see algae it might be too late. However I have used it after I had green water and it clears it up overnight. After that, I always ran it all the time. The bulbs wear out in a year running it all the time, however.

I guess you could always add some chlorine to the water. Not sure what level would be dangerous for animals though.

Reactions: Rocket J Squirrel
The bulbs wear out in a year running it all the time, however.
Thanks for the info. This part worries me a bit. We can't see the UV bulb and won't know when it's burned out. I wouldn't even know how to get to it since I didn't see it being installed. I'll have to ask my contractor to show me how to access it, so I'm glad you mentioned it.

Thanks for the info. This part worries me a bit. We can't see the UV bulb and won't know when it's burned out. I wouldn't even know how to get to it since I didn't see it being installed. I'll have to ask my contractor to show me how to access it, so I'm glad you mentioned it.

It doesn't burn out per se it just becomes totally ineffective.

There are water feature algaecides you can buy at hardware stores. Just use that in conjunction with UV and the water should stay clear

Our cats water dish had a UV sanitation bulb in it. I suppose you have to ask whether cat litter and other debris floating around in clear water is the end goal or not.

You may still need to clean the water feature every so often.

Reactions: JoyfulNoise

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support