Sanding down my metal fence around the pool, help!

mnhim001

Jun 4, 2021
San Dimas, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi Guys,

I have a metal fence surrounding my pool, the paint is chipping off and some spots on the fence has rust. I want to clean all this up and repaint it, one thing I was told that was needed to be done was to sand all the rust areas. What do you guys recommend when sanding metal around the pool?

Would I get away with just sanding the painted areas and priming the whole fence?

If the rust is minor you can treat with Rust Reformer
Have used with varying degrees of success. Best on flat surfaces. Threaded or ornate surfaces not so much unless they are well cleaned.

Last edited:
If tube steel ornamental, it's going to be more an aesthetic fix, as those things rust as much or more from the inside as outside and just a precursor to a replacement panel. Best job with less mess and chance of damage to deck or pool is just do as long-term project and take each panel down to garage address. There, you could also evaluate each independently.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.