Sand in Pool

May 31, 2017
Freehold/NJ
I'm a newbie here. I think this is a great reference site and hopefully I can get some good advice! I have a Hayward S244S sand filter which was working fine last year. This year when I opened the pool and started everything up, I noticed sand on the bottom near the returns. I changed the spider gasket since it was warped and torn, but still had sand. I then took all of the sand out of the filter and inspected the laterals. They were all intact, but the base of the lateral assembly had a hairline crack in it, which looked like it may open up further when there is pressure from the sand and the pump running. I took it to my local pool store and they agreed that is what is causing sand to get in the pool. I replaced the lateral assembly base, and the laterals just to be safe. I put new sand in as well. I'm still getting some sand in the pool (doesn't seem to be as much, but it is still there). Is it possible that there is residual sand in the return lines? I have vacuumed twice since I replaced the parts and I do see sand in the sightglass when I backwash and rinse. I vacuumed to waste tonight just in case it was fine particles making their way through the filter. Any advice would be appreciated as I don't want to pull 300 lbs of wet sand out of the filter again.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I was away for a few days. Here is the latest:

Test results are all good. I don't have a chemical test kit, but I use the test strips and have also taken a sample to my local pool store (which is run by a relative, so pretty reputable). If anything, my FC is a little high, but everything else is right in line.

I don't think it is algae, as it is only near returns and not everywhere in the pool. Vacuuming to waste doesn't seem to have helped. I ended up having to replace the entire variflo valve, as replacing the spider gasket led me down the road of realizing there was a defect in the valve body preventing the valve cover from seating completely. So new valve, new plumbing to returns and now I'm back up and running. Chemical levels are still good, but still getting some sand. Everything I'm reading, and the local pool store, tells me that it can't be a broken lateral (especially since they are brand new) as I would be seeing much more sand. One thing I read that it could be is one or more of the laterals may not be completely in the down position, which would expose a small channel in the assembly to the sand, possibly letting some in. Not sure how to check that without removing all of the sand again, which I only want to do as a last resort. I'm just about out of ideas and getting ready to use my neighbor's pool repair guy, as I can't imagine what else it can be.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Vac some up using a skimmer sock in the skimmer basket to catch whatever it is for examination.

Also, rig up a women's knee-hi stocking over a return to catch a sample of anything coming out of the returns.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.