Sand in Cartridge Filter

Rocketfish

Bronze Supporter
Jun 6, 2016
Orange County, CA
Hey everyone, whenever I open my filter canister to clean the cartridge filter, I see this layer of what looks like sand on top of the cartridge. There seems to be a little bit at the bottom of the canister as well. Do you guys think this is just normal debris from plants or trees and stuff? I'm concerned about where this might be coming from. I do vacuum up what appears to be dirt from time to time, but this sand is ALWAYS om there when I open the canister. Should I be concerned?

filter pic.jpg

By the way, this filter seems super old, and I have no idea why a section of the top of it seems worn away. I just moved into this house a year ago and have no idea how they treated this filter.

Mine is the same. I think my sand comes from a few places; blown in, waterfall rocks and the space between the coping and deck above the skimmers.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.