sand in bottom of pool

I just bought a pool blaster vacuum for my pool this summer and so far it has been great. I used to use the garden hose like you but it didn't do anything! You might want to invest in a better vacuum and see if that does the trick?

I've vacuumed and vacuumed and this is what it looks like when it settles back down?
You are misinterpreting what you are seeing. That is dead algae and you will never get it out (because the new algae grows, dies, and redeposits on the pool bottom) until you get your water chemistry in line.

read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School

Then, read "How to Shock Your Pool"

You need to shock your pool.

Ok so I will go out and get a better pool tester this afternoon and test the water and post the results then shock the pool. Once I do this what will happen to all the stuff on the bottom of the pool? Sorry this is just the first year i've had to deal with anything like this before....

There is a chance the filter is getting clogged to the point where it will start letting some of that dead algae back through the return line when you vacuum. You could overfill your pool with water and then vacuum on waste, this will bypass the filter and shoot everything you vacuum that doesn't get trapped by the strainer out your waste line. Keep in mind this will "waste" water. Prior to vacuuming you want to make sure the pool is no longer cloudy looking, if it's cloudy some dead algae might fall out of the water and you'll have more "powder" on the bottom of the pool.

Ok so I will go out and get a better pool tester this afternoon and test the water and post the results then shock the pool. Once I do this what will happen to all the stuff on the bottom of the pool?
As you read the two articles suggested above, you will find that the shock process is a little more involved than you think. It may last for several days during which time you will have vacuumed your pool many times, keeping all the dead debris out of your pool.

If there is lower ground near your pool you could siphon the sand out with a garden hose. Tape a vacuum head on the end of a garden hose and tape a pole to it. Fill the garden hose with water and set the other end lower than the pool. You will lose some water but it will suck all the sand out.

That looks like the dead alge I had. I have the same pump. It took me a couple of weeks before I finally quit vacuming and watching the stuff just pour out of the filter and back into the pool and finally decided to put the pool into balance - then once I had a balanced pool in just a few vacume sessions I had a beautiful pool!

This will take some time - Start the shocking process (I used the BBB bleach method from our good folks here) and get the pool back into balance - kill those buggers!

Oh and if you vacume on the Filter setting and you'll just send it back into the pool - set the filter to Waste and put on your backwash hose. You'll lose water and have to adjust your balance but it is so worth it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have sam issue, but i have a slide valve, just normal and back wash right? so when im back washing stuff still goes through sand right? can i rent a flood pump or should i try the garden hose? can i plumb a simple diverter to waste? thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.