Sand Filter vs. DE vs. Cartridge

jbailey895

Apr 25, 2016
Carlsbad, CA
I have been having issues with my Hayward DE grid filter, and after reading several threads here, began hunting for a cartridge filter. I called a favorite vendor on the forum, M.., and she rec'd a sand filter. I have a 17.5 k gal. in ground pool with a coverstar cover (covered 95% of the time.) I was also leaning towards another suction vacuum (my vergnugen is dying) but a robot was rec'd. thoughts before I pull out the credit card? thanx20220827_164111.jpg

I have a sand filter which works just fine for me. If I needed to replace it, I would probably go with a large cartridge filter based on what I've read here. When I bought the house, oh so many decades ago, it had a cartridge filter and it just did not work, I switched to DE and then to sand. I realize now from reading here that the original cartridge filter was way too small for my pool - go as big as you can. Pretty sure I'd never go back to DE and cost would be the deciding factor between sand or cartridge.

Thanks guys, I was digging the info of "once a year" cleaning, but Marina just told me that catridges need to be cleaned weekly to be effective? that seems ridiculous. Sand filters are cheaper, so I don't think she was "upselling" me. Here's my plumbing to my DE filter. I suspect my MPV is failing, and that's why I'm getting a lot of DE in the pool/spa. I appreciate the comments, Happy Labor Day!20220901_080814.jpg

I was digging the info of "once a year" cleaning, but Marina just told me that catridges need to be cleaned weekly to be effective?
I can go about 18 months between cartridge cleanings. You can't go wrong with a large cartridge filter.

Thanks guys, I was digging the info of "once a year" cleaning, but Marina just told me that catridges need to be cleaned weekly to be effective? that seems ridiculous. Sand filters are cheaper, so I don't think she was "upselling" me. Here's my plumbing to my DE filter. I suspect my MPV is failing, and that's why I'm getting a lot of DE in the pool/spa. I appreciate the comments, Happy Labor Day!View attachment 451015
I have a 23K pool and surrounded by trees and I maybe clean mine 3 times a year. And one of those is just to see what’s inside and 90% of the time it’s clean

Sand filters aren’t bad, tons of folks use them.
Downside is they don’t filter as well but do a good job.
Other issue for some is you backwash to clean, if water is expensive or restricted that might be an issue.

Reactions: ccbill
but Marina just told me that catridges need to be cleaned weekly to be effective?
J,

That is a pretty big load of Bull Feathers. :scratch:

The main reason that I like large cartridge filters is that you have super simple plumbing. Out of the pump and into the filter. No backwash/MPV to leak, or become hard to turn, or break. Not having a MPV valve reduces your back pressure and lets you run the pump slower.

I clean my cartridges twice a year, just because my OCD will not allow me to go a whole year. I do it at the end of the pool season and then again before the next pool season. If there is any downside to having a large cartridge filter, it is that you don't want to have to clean it when it is too cold to get wet. :)

Thanks,

Jim R.

• Love
Reactions: Stump

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I switched over to Pentair/Sta-Rite cartridge filters this last month from a Jandy DE filter. My Pentair is 100 sq ft and the Sta-Rite is 400sq ft. I took apart the 100 sq ft cartridge yesterday to clean (algae build up) but I'm wondering, what's the BEST/EASIEST method to clean inside the pleats? I spent nearly 30 minutes spraying it down with my hose, and using a spray that i let soak into the cartirdge for 15 minutes or so, but in between the pleats it still seemed fairly dirty'ish (though better than before I started). Is there tricks of cleaning cartridge filters people can pass on?

I have a weak electric pressure washer that has a wide spray. It gets Crud out a regular hose adapter can’t.
Downside is you have to be careful and spray down and not too close or it can damage the filter

I switched over to Pentair/Sta-Rite cartridge filters this last month from a Jandy DE filter. My Pentair is 100 sq ft and the Sta-Rite is 400sq ft. I took apart the 100 sq ft cartridge yesterday to clean (algae build up) but I'm wondering, what's the BEST/EASIEST method to clean inside the pleats? I spent nearly 30 minutes spraying it down with my hose, and using a spray that i let soak into the cartirdge for 15 minutes or so, but in between the pleats it still seemed fairly dirty'ish (though better than before I started). Is there tricks of cleaning cartridge filters people can pass on?

Look up “filter flosser “

Look up “filter flosser “
I had something similar I bought locally, but I wasn't impressed. Just ordered the Filter Flosser from Amazon. Will try it out on Sunday, appreciate the tip. You don't use any spray cleaners or anything to loosen up the gunk? Just the Filter Flosser is enough?

I had something similar I bought locally, but I wasn't impressed. Just ordered the Filter Flosser from Amazon. Will try it out on Sunday, appreciate the tip. You don't use any spray cleaners or anything to loosen up the gunk? Just the Filter Flosser is enough?

I have a cartridge style DE filter but my cartridges are very different than yours so a lot easier to clean. For a standard cartridge filter it is better to get a second set of filters and then swap out dirty ones for clean ones. Then, you can allow the dirty ones to soak overnight is dishwasher detergent and water which helps to really break up and lift away the grime. It’s a more expensive outlay initially for an entire set of cartridges but it makes cleaning a cartridge filter a lot quicker.

I have a cartridge style DE filter but my cartridges are very different than yours so a lot easier to clean. For a standard cartridge filter it is better to get a second set of filters and then swap out dirty ones for clean ones. Then, you can allow the dirty ones to soak overnight is dishwasher detergent and water which helps to really break up and lift away the grime. It’s a more expensive outlay initially for an entire set of cartridges but it makes cleaning a cartridge filter a lot quicker.
@JoyfulNoise I received my Filter Flosser on Sunday. Holy cow that thing is amazing! I went from 35 minutes of cleaning my smaller 100st ft filter down to about 6-7 minutes flat, and my starting clean pressure was even lower than when I spent the 35 minutes on it. In fact, I cleaned it twice already with the Filter Flosser, just to try it a second time, lol. Two big thumbs up for the Filter Flosser, thanks JN!

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
@JoyfulNoise I received my Filter Flosser on Sunday. Holy cow that thing is amazing! I went from 35 minutes of cleaning my smaller 100st ft filter down to about 6-7 minutes flat, and my starting clean pressure was even lower than when I spent the 35 minutes on it. In fact, I cleaned it twice already with the Filter Flosser, just to try it a second time, lol. Two big thumbs up for the Filter Flosser, thanks JN!

Glad it worked out for you. Always nice when you find “the right tool for the right job” 👍

Reactions: jesse-99
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.