Sand Filter tilting and leaking sand - can it be fixed or needs replacement

zdez

Jul 5, 2023
Dallas
Hi everyone, I have a 16,000 salt water pool with a huge sand filter. Previous owner built everything in late 2019.
The sand filter has been leaking sand, and I learnt that most likely its laterals after viewing all posts here at TFP. However, here is the issue:

1. the metal base (or some one called it hurricane pad?) is deformed due to a too small concrete pad... Please see picture. not sure why they built it this way, or things are shifting and moving around.
2. the deformed metal base caused the filter to tilt at around 5-10 degrees. not huge, but noticable if watching carefully.
3. Been leaking sand since I took over one year ago. Now it leaks more and more sand especially during the first minute or so when I turn on the filter.

Can this be fixed? Fixing base first? Do i need to mess around with the concrete?

Looking for a solution with the least expense please. If DIY-able, I will do it.

Appreciate all your input and time.

Attachments

• IMG_7368 Large.jpeg
    IMG_7368 Large.jpeg
    229.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_7369 Large.jpeg
    IMG_7369 Large.jpeg
    397.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_7370 Large.jpeg
    IMG_7370 Large.jpeg
    361.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_7371 Large.jpeg
    IMG_7371 Large.jpeg
    133.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_7477 Large.jpeg
    IMG_7477 Large.jpeg
    464.6 KB · Views: 17
I am getting quotes currently. Seems like different people suggest different things. One store owner says just replace it with a cartridge filter. One service person says ignore it (been doing that and combating algea with tons of chemical). Any input is helpful. Thanks!

Hi everyone, I have a 16,000 salt water pool with a huge sand filter. Previous owner built everything in late 2019.
The sand filter has been leaking sand, and I learnt that most likely its laterals after viewing all posts here at TFP. However, here is the issue:

1. the metal base (or some one called it hurricane pad?) is deformed due to a too small concrete pad... Please see picture. not sure why they built it this way, or things are shifting and moving around.
2. the deformed metal base caused the filter to tilt at around 5-10 degrees. not huge, but noticable if watching carefully.
3. Been leaking sand since I took over one year ago. Now it leaks more and more sand especially during the first minute or so when I turn on the filter.

Can this be fixed? Fixing base first? Do i need to mess around with the concrete?

Looking for a solution with the least expense please. If DIY-able, I will do it.

Appreciate all your input and time.
Sounds and looks like broken laterals in the filter. What brand of filter is that? Despite the name on the gauge, it doesn't appear to be a Hayward filter.

It may not be helping that the base is over hanging the edge of the concrete pad. That’s probably helped the failure.

Your algae problem can be fixed with just chlorine, NO fancy chemicals needed. Check out the TFP SLAM process page for details. (You’ll need a one of two test kits for that)

Last edited:
It may not be helping that the base is over hanging the edge of the concrete pad. That’s probably helped the failure.

Your algae problem can be fixed with just chlorine, or fancy chemicals needed. Check out the TFP SLAM process page for details. (You’ll need a one of two test kits for that)

Thanks! Yea, I have been trying to figure out if fixing the tilting issue is a necessity to recover 100% of filtration power.
I have carefully followed the SLAM, as well as used other ways such as mineral based algicide (not actively swimming in pool), bromine, phosphate remover, and all work but only lasted a short while. I guess it is due to not having a sufficient filter. I am trying to figure out if I recover the filtration power by only replacing the laterals instead of messing around with the concrete slab and hurricane pad.

Thanks! Yea, I have been trying to figure out if fixing the tilting issue is a necessity to recover 100% of filtration power.
I have carefully followed the SLAM, as well as used other ways such as mineral based algicide (not actively swimming in pool), bromine, phosphate remover, and all work but only lasted a short while. I guess it is due to not having a sufficient filter. I am trying to figure out if I recover the filtration power by only replacing the laterals instead of messing around with the concrete slab and hurricane pad.
Sorry, I meant you don’t need stuff other than chlorine. Silly autocorrect on the phone is weird sometimes.

If you added bromine, then you may have accidentally (I assume) converted your pool to a bromine pool. That would be something to look into and make sure. Algae is always an under chlorination problem not a filter problem.

Reactions: zdez
That's copper. Copper leads to staining and the copper can only be removed by draining.

As said above, the bromine likely converted you to a bromine pool. List the brand and the amount used for @Donldson to go over.
Thanks! I really had no idea of a bromine pool!
@Donldson I added 99% pure boric acid granular (Amazon.com), added about 30lbs to my 17,000 gallon pool.
Hopefully I do not need to drain the entire pool to fix it.
Thank you so much!

Sounds and looks like broken laterals in the filter. What brand of filter is that? Despite the name on the gauge, it doesn't appear to be a Hayward filter.
Could not find out the make and model as the label has totally faded out. Pool guy confirmed with me that it is a industrial purpose sand filter for pools much larger than mine (17k gallon). Quoted me 2k to fix the lateral, or 3k to replace it with a Jandy CV460 cartridge filter. I was convinced that replacement is a much better choice.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Thank you! Now it makes sense! I guess I do not need it for a 17k gallon pool, and it is not worth it to fix as the replacement cost is only 1000 more, and I can maintain it better myself with cartridge filter. I have been provided the option of either a Jandy CV460 or Pentair clean and clear plus 520. Do you suggest one over the other? Thanks! I am very excited that I do not have to deal with sand anymore :)

Oh, I added boric acid which turned into borates, NOT bromine. I am sorry, my bad. So this is good news right?
Good. Borates help stabilize the pH in a SWCG. Otherwise not much need for them.

I have been provided the option of either a Jandy CV460 or Pentair clean and clear plus 520. Do you suggest one over the other?
Either is fine. I have a Pentair cartridge filter. But I assume the Jandy is similar. Whichever is cheaper.

Oh, I added boric acid which turned into borates, NOT bromine. I am sorry, my bad. So this is good news right? I have approximately 40 ppm of borates in my pool as an alternative of algaecide. Thanks!
Borates are not an alternative to algaecide. The only algaecide you need is chlorine.

Good. Borates help stabilize the pH in a SWCG. Otherwise not much need for them.

Either is fine. I have a Pentair cartridge filter. But I assume the Jandy is similar. Whichever is cheaper.
Thank you Sir! I am actually going with a Aquastar cartridge filter for 35k gallon as that is the only provided by an experienced installer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.