Sand Filter - Should I return or working as intended?

Papacheeks

Jun 28, 2022
Michigan
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I need some help, as I can't find the answer online.

I've been dealing with a sand filter which I feel isn't doing its job.

Pump & Filter:
3/4HP pump With 13" Sand Filter (xtremepowerus if that matters).
Filter Media: Pool Sand (hth brand)
Pool:
- Filtering a 21' aboveground pool.
Operating Time: 16hr on 8 off.

When i first got this pump/filter, i was excited because the cartridge type was getting a lot of algae very quickly.

SHortly after installing the new sand filter/pump, i noticed i was still having more than i was comfortable with amount of bugs making it back into the pool. So i experimented by placing a mesh sock over the return port to see for sure if debris was making it through the filter, or if it was just bugs flying into the pool from the surrounding area.

Unfortunately, it ended up being the fact that bugs are making it through. Most are gnat sized, if that helps with approx size of debris making it through.

Is this normal? Should stuff be making it through or should mine be filtering better? I'd hate to send this one back just to get another that does the same thing.

I'm certain I have my pump set up correctly with the proper amount and type of media, maybe the filter itself is subpar if this level of filtration is bad.

EIther way, just looking for some insight. Any and all helps!

A few things catch my attention with your scenario:
1 - A 13" sand filter is quite small, but if the water chemistry is spot-on it should be okay.
2 - That leads us to water testing. Can you post a full set of water test results with a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C?
3 - Does your pool have a suction port on teh wall or a thru-wall skimmer?

A few things catch my attention with your scenario:
1 - A 13" sand filter is quite small, but if the water chemistry is spot-on it should be okay.
2 - That leads us to water testing. Can you post a full set of water test results with a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C?
3 - Does your pool have a suction port on teh wall or a thru-wall skimmer?
Hey Texas Splash, thanks for replying!

1 - I unfortunately did not realize how small i was going when i bought this, but unfotunately i wasn't able to budget more - i just knew the cartridge wasn't making it the season.

2 - I do not have a legit water tester, but next season i plan on buy one (another budget issue - didn't realize that '$400' pool was gonna be so much more). i'm using the strips which i hear aren't great, but they show good chemicals. Sometimes my chlorine has dipped but everythign else measure "ideal" on the strip.

3 - I have 2 ports on my pool, I leave one open and underneath the surface and the other one I have an aftermarket skimmer attached.

Well Papa, we totally understand the budget issue. Lots of that going on right now. :( Of all the testing evils out there, test strips are probably the worst. Next time you're at Walmart, you might see if they have a simple 5-way HTH drop test kit. It's better than strips. If you can swing about $35, there's always the FAS-DPD to ensure accurate FC testing.

If you can place a skimmer sock on the skimmer it might help catch bugs on the surface before they get sucked in.

Reactions: Papacheeks
Well Papa, we totally understand the budget issue. Lots of that going on right now. :( Of all the testing evils out there, test strips are probably the worst. Next time you're at Walmart, you might see if they have a simple 5-way HTH drop test kit. It's better than strips. If you can swing about $35, there's always the FAS-DPD to ensure accurate FC testing.

If you can place a skimmer sock on the skimmer it might help catch bugs on the surface before they get sucked in.

IS the skimmer sock something that should be pretty standard? I didn't realize i should have been incorporating that.

Otherwise though, does it seem like my filter is working? Other than being too small? Fortunately the vendor sent me a return label, so i am tempted to send it back and upsize the filter. Not sure how large i should go.

Any insight would be awesome. Also - i will check into that other test kit. We are about at the end o f the strips anyway.

Thanks man!

A skimmer sock is something many of us use as an additional method to catch very fine debris. Below is an example. Just search "skimmer sock" here or on Google and you'll see may examples.

As for the filter, you could probably go with a 18" - 24" filter just fine. But never underestimate the chemistry. Many folks who think their water is fine have no idea they have algae. We see it here all the time. Might now be a priority right now and with only a month or so left in your season, but for next year definitely.

full

A skimmer sock is something many of us use as an additional method to catch very fine debris. Below is an example. Just search "skimmer sock" here or on Google and you'll see may examples.

As for the filter, you could probably go with a 18" - 24" filter just fine. But never underestimate the chemistry. Many folks who think their water is fine have no idea they have algae. We see it here all the time. Might now be a priority right now and with only a month or so left in your season, but for next year definitely.

full
100% ! My dumb test strips willl be showing all chemicals fine and high chlorine yet i'll have green algae trying to take hold on the liner!

Fortunately i've had the chance to check over some of the threads located on the forum, but without the titration test kit I haven't been able to SLAM.

That white dusty algae has been a nuisance for sure.

Thank you for all the info sir!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.