Sand filter pressure extremely high while outside temps are low?!?

Tanner M

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 1, 2013
Oklahoma City, OK
I backwashed 2 days ago knowing the temps were going to drop dangerously low here in Oklahoma so I wanted to make sure the filter was clean because I can't backwash when it is this cold. This morning we are sitting at 6 degrees and suddenly my pressure is at 26 psi (normally 15-19 psi). Any ideas why it would jump up so much with these low temps? The water temp is sittting at 33 degrees.

I would be concerned you are getting some kind of freezing on the pressure side - possibly in the filter itself as it is a lower flow area.

Is there any way to put a tarp/blanket over your equipment and put a drop light under the tarp/blanket? Will your equipment see some sun today?

It will not plug off completely as long as water is running and your temps warm up some, soon.

Take care.

Might be a frozen pressure gauge.

I was just about to say this too. The parts inside the pressure gauge are super fragile and can freeze and break long before anything else. I’d replace the gauge and see. They’re pretty cheap in the pool section of Lowes or Home Depot, or Amazon.

That large of a jump in psi would usually result in a noticeable drop in water flow to the pool. I would recommend installing a flow meter to help troubleshoot circulation issues. Every pool should have one.

As the day went along the outside temps rose from around 6 degrees to about 20 degrees which dropped the pressure back down to 19 psi. So strange! I will check the gauge itself but I am fairly certain that it is functioning properly. Thanks again for everyone's input on this.

My wife usually handles this is forgot her password, after repeated attempts to log in she created an account in my name, she created one in my name, we are on the North Shore of South Louisiana & are having extremely low below freezing temps, temps in the 40's now but it has been in the 20's, we have left the pool running & when she woke up she noticed it wasn't running & I went out to turn it on, the breaker tripped & there was water running all over in pump area, went out again & it doesn't seem to be leaking, any reason for this? And can you help her get back in, Tisaj1 [email protected] thanks in advance, we also have a sand filter

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.