JHolman

Jun 25, 2022
Marlow, Alabama
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Water not coming out of returns when filter multiport set on recirculate and pressure is high.
UPDATE:
We took the multiport valve off and took it to the store we bought it from and sure nuff..... The factory had assembled it backwards!!! The guy at the pool store found the issue in minutes.. So for 2 1/2 months instead of filtering it was recirculating... This morning my pool is crystal sparkling clean!!

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum :wave:

We'll need more info than that. What is the psi in the "filter" mode? What is the psi in "recirculate"?

Has this been chronic or did it suddenly happen? When did you backwash last? Why are you running in "recirculate"?

Welcome to the forum :wave:

We'll need more info than that. What is the psi in the "filter" mode? What is the psi in "recirculate"?

Has this been chronic or did it suddenly happen? When did you backwash last? Why are you running in "recirculate"?
The pressure is 15 psi on filter and jumps to 21 psi when on recirculate. I have only tried to use the recirculate last week when I was having algae problems and having to use chemicals from pool store and they told me to use the recirculate setting and run for 2 hrs. after 15 minutes I checked on it because I saw no circulation going on in the pool. I felt the return and no flow was coming in and the water was swirling in the pump basket and the water was hot!

Last edited:
where is the water going if not the returns, or is there no water flow at all?
The pump basket was full but no flow coming out of return. It was not pulling water out of the skimmer either. We had to replace the multiport valve 2 months ago and it is a little different from the original.

Last edited:
Operating properly, your psi should DROP dramatically on "recirc".......not go up.

It sure sounds like you have almost a complete blockage in the multi-port when you set it to "recirculate" and that is frequently caused by a damaged spider gasket inside the multi-port. It is pretty easy to unscrew those screws on the top and inspect that wonky looking "spider" gasket. You may be able to find one locally if that is the issue.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Operating properly, your psi should DROP dramatically on "recirc".......not go up.

It sure sounds like you have almost a complete blockage in the multi-port when you set it to "recirculate" and that is frequently caused by a damaged spider gasket inside the multi-port. It is pretty easy to unscrew those screws on the top and inspect that wonky looking "spider" gasket. You may be able to find one locally if that is the issue.
Well, that really sucks.... Just replaced the multiport valve in April to the tune of 193$ !!! How could it be damaged? All we ever do is backwash, rinse and filter!!! The old one lasted 25 yrs. the only reason for replacing it was the pressure gauge broke off in the hole and we cracked the multi trying to get the thread part out.

The spider gasket can be damaged by switching positions with the pump running or just not seated properly. A really good poster on this forum used to say, "The last thing you fixed is the first thing to break" I believe your issue is somewhere in the way that multi-port is installed.

Reactions: JHolman
Interesting. It's possible the plumbing didn't get hooked up correctly.
No Sir , it is stamped on each pipe outlet coming off valve....
The spider gasket can be damaged by switching positions with the pump running or just not seated properly. A really good poster on this forum used to say, "The last thing you fixed is the first thing to break" I believe your issue is somewhere in the way that multi-port is installed.
You are right about that!!! We took the multiport valve off and took it to the store we bought it from and sure nuff..... The factory had assembled it backwards!!! The guy at the pool store found the issue in minutes.. So far 2 1/2 months instead of filtering it was recirculating... This morning my pool is crystal sparkling clean!!

Not sure how it gets assembled wrong because there's a tab that can only fit one way.
Well, it did. The pin was opposite of the notch it sits in. I wish I had took pic of it before it was put in it's right position. I did not even think to look it over for that when I took it out of box and packaging. I ASSUMED it was as it should be.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.