Sand filter leaking at top

Nov 3, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
Last year I had a small leak in my sand filter where the top screws into the fiberglass housing. I replaced the gasket and used silicon grease but I still had a small leak. I just went out to my pool equipment and now I have a large leak. I'm thinking that the fiberglass on the vessel where the gasket sits is porous and that may be my problem. Is it possible to smooth out the fiberglass using a resin, JB Weld or some other sealer that would provide a less porous surface for the gasket to sit on? Other ideas?

Unfortunately, once one of those filters starts to leak at the opening for the lid and the fiberglass is deteriorated, there is no real fix. Problem that I have seen is that the fiberglass starts to delaminate and water gets between the layers. Tried on two different filters to do what you described and was not successful. As someone else on this forum says, YMMV.

How old is the filter? If its brittle & porous it may be time to replace it. Repairing a filter vessel isn’t advised being as it’s under so much pressure. Any damage to the vessel could allow it to explode under pressure creating a very dangerous situation for people & property.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.