Sand Filter Guru Needed

woodyp

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 17, 2010
East Texas
I have a 22" 250 lb. sand filter that I've cracked open to clean before using it again on a new pool. I've cleaned it a time or two over the past 12 years.
Question: How far from the bottom of the neck of the filter should the sand be? Pretty sure I've lost some over time. Ain't exactly like there's a "fill to here" mark"!
It is an Astralpool filter, I have the manual, and it says NADA of course.

The first one to tell me just to weigh the filter gets BANNED! ( I know you're out there)

Thanks,
Woody

Last edited:
The first one to tell me just to weigh the filter gets BANNED! ( I know you're out there)
No. No. I'd never. Just buy six 40 lb bags for a 250 lb filter and it'll probably be close enough to 2/3 full. 😁

(I'd start new for the cost of sand)

• Haha
Reactions: YippeeSkippy
It's about 11" from the top of the stand pipe. I'm thinking about 6 inches would be normal. Trying to figure out how much sand to add back for another 4 or 5 inches in depth. My Google Foo ain't working!
I ain't replacing it all. That's sacrilege around here!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Newdude
After measuring the height from the bottom of the filter to the top of the stand pipe at 23 inches.......the 2/3 "rule" would put me about 3 inches shy of where that would be. It would suggest 8" from top of stand pipe, and I'm at 11. To bag or not to bag.....THAT....is the question!

To bag or not to bag.....THAT....is the question!
Add 2 (or all 3) of the 3 inches and see how it does. Anything I've ever read regarding sand said *about* 2/3, so i don't think the exactness is all that important.

Reactions: woodyp
I have a 22" 250 lb. sand filter that I've cracked open to clean before using it again on a new pool. I've cleaned it a time or two over the past 12 years.
Question: How far from the bottom of the neck of the filter should the sand be? Pretty sure I've lost some over time. Ain't exactly like there's a "fill to here" mark"!
It is an Astralpool filter, I have the manual, and it says NADA of course.

Thanks,
Woody
Per Hayward and Pentair schools from years ago, the "freeboard" (no sand) in a sand filter should start at the top of the cylindrical portion of the tank.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The general rule of thumb for vertical sand filter sand level is just at, or a little below, the tangential line (where the straight wall meets the dome shape top), unless otherwise stipulated. That way the maximum surface area of the sand bed is maintained.

Reactions: woodyp
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.