Sand filter centre pipe is in two parts. Is this a problem?

tfoggo

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
United Kingdom
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi TFP,

I'm replacing the MPV on my Tagellus TA-40 sand filter.

On removing the old MPV I've discovered that the centre pipe is not a single piece, but appears to have been cut in two and then re-joined. There's a piece of centre pipe extending 2"-3" from the bottom of the MPV, then a connecting collar (see pic), then the rest of the centre pipe going down into the sand. The piece of pipe in the MPV is stuck fast. The connecting collar is a snug fit both sides, but was not sealed with anything.

My question is... is this OK?! Is it likely to be diminishing the effectiveness of the filter? I'm trying to decide whether to simply replicate this setup when I fit the new MPV or to replace the centre pipe entirely with a new one that is the right length in one piece? I know the latter is the better option, but don't want to have to remove/replace all the sand unless it's really necessary.

Attachments

• mpv.jpg
    mpv.jpg
    492.4 KB · Views: 4
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.