Sand and dirt in fiberglass in ground pool.

Bennefield19

Apr 10, 2024
Gainesville/Ga
Hi everyone, new to the pool thing and we had some yard work done where dirt/mud has accumulated in the bottom of the pool. Me not knowing but thinking that the waste setting on the filter is the way: I have now made two attempts and when I turn back on the filter it seems to just be putting the dirt right back into the water. This time I ran to waste and then backwashed. When I did bubble was clear. So I thought I may be good. But I am not. If someone could explain what I am doing wrong and what I need to do I would greatly appreciate the input.

Are you moving your multiport to rinse for a minute or so after the waste/backwash cycle, and before you switch back to filter mode?

Hi there! I had the same thing happen when construction team accidentally dropped dirt in. All it took was daily brushing while the pump stays on 24/7. And then you can backwash the filter if your filter pressure raises 25% over clean pressure. Make sure your water level is over the midline of the skimmer as you backwash, as that lowers water level. You don't want to suck air. It may take a day or more, so keep brushing to get the dirt into circulation.

Maddie 🇮🇹

Hi there! I had the same thing happen when construction team accidentally dropped dirt in. All it took was daily brushing while the pump stays on 24/7. And then you can backwash the filter if your filter pressure raises 25% over clean pressure. Make sure your water level is over the midline of the skimmer as you backwash, as that lowers water level. You don't want to suck air. It may take a day or more, so keep brushing to get the dirt into circulation.

Maddie 🇮🇹
Thank you that was a good read for me. I have been doing it wrong. Not rinsing

No I am not. Is this supposed to be done every time?
Yes. The purpose of the rinse is to blow any residual dirt out of the multiport to waste before sending water back to your pool. Steps should be backwash/waste until bubble is clear (or you’ve wasted the water you need to). Then rinse for about a minute to clear the MPV. The switch back to filter mode. I suspect that is your issue. Disclaimer - always stop the pump prior to switching settings on the mpv. I know you know this but find it’s worthwhile repeating regardless of how experienced the operator is.