Salvage Value/Recycling Actuators

bxcrwlly

LifeTime Supporter
Dec 3, 2012
Central Florida
I've recently had to replace 3 actuators. Two are Compool CVA 24 180 degree, One is a Hayward GVA 24 180 degree. Does anyone on the forum know if there is a company and/or individual that recycles or buys as salvage used actuators?

Thanks.......

Depending on the problem you had with them, you might want to keep them. Most of the issues with these were bad switches in them. The switches are cheap.

I don't know of anyplace that buys them or recycles them.

Thanks Paul....I ordered two switches for the Compool Actuators this morning. A few follow-on questions. How can I determine if the switch, is in fact, defective? Do I need some sort of testing device to check it? How can I test the actuator outside of being connected to the pool. I saw a video where a guy was doing that; however the video didn't show what he had the actuator connected to for power.

bx,

The easiest way to test them would be to use your EasyTouch. Drop the front panel and unplug a working actuator. Plug in the actuator you want to test and then tell the EasyTouch to cycle the valve.. For example.. if you are using the A valve to turn your waterfall on/off.. then plug the actuator into the A connector and the tell the ET to turn the waterfall on/off. The actuator should move 180 degrees when turned on and then back 180 degrees when turned off..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Paul....the two Compool units just quit working. The Hayward, which was installed for Solar, started making a "thumping" noise when the actuator was activated and the valve wouldn't open. The Compool units failed months ago. I simply removed them from the valve and placed them on the ground until the other day when I disconnected them from the ET Panel. The Hayward failed a couple of days ago.

I see from Jim's post below that I can plug then into a port on the Easy Touch Panel. I'm familiar with that since I have to access the panel to disconnect the bad actuators.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Jim....I can do that. I was hoping for a "work bench" approach vs. removing the ET Panel.

bx,

To test on a workbench you can just use the output of a 24 VAC transformer.. Which I am sure you just have laying around... :p

The black wire is common.. applying 24 volts to the Red wire drives the actuator one way and then applying 24 volts to the White wire drive the actuator the other way..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.