Saltwater Viable/Worthwhile without a SWG?

Papacheeks

Jun 28, 2022
Michigan
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Good morning everyone. I have been attempting to comb through the forums/interweb to find the answer I'm seeking but I just keep coming up empty handled.

My question is :

Can I put salt in my pool and get any benefit (other than less water hardness) without the SWG or would I be wasting money?

My specs:

I have a small above-ground pool that is 10k gal and am currently on the hunt for a filter. I purchased a sand filter last year but I think it was faulty, so i'm hunting for a replacement. I saw an Intex Krystal Clear with the "Saltwater system" which is what peaked my interest in possibly converting to salt even if I don't get a SWG (I'm not sold on intex salt system). My budget of $300 doesn't allow for a SWG unfortunately.

Any info help! Also - if you need anything else from me I will try to add!

Yes running saltwater will give you that water feel. Softer water is really nice. Saltwater pools have only a slightly higher salt content that non salt pools. After a few years most non salt pools are between 1-2k salt level. Salt pools are between 2-3k. So not much more. The ocean is 35k for reference.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I was hoping that maybe the salt would reduce the need for the other chemical requirements, but I guess reducing the water hardness isn't a total loss - especially since I can add a SWG down the road.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I was hoping that maybe the salt would reduce the need for the other chemical requirements, but I guess reducing the water hardness isn't a total loss - especially since I can add a SWG down the road.

I'd go ahead and make it salt. Get the K-1766 test kit for accurate salt measurement. Take a reading before you buy salt. Then use poolmath to determine how much salt you need. Buy the BLUE water softener salt from any hardware store.

I'd go ahead and make it salt. Get the K-1766 test kit for accurate salt measurement. Take a reading before you buy salt. Then use poolmath to determine how much salt you need. Buy the BLUE water softener salt from any hardware store.

Thanks Poolgate! By the way, I see that Intex has a Sand Filter + Saltwater System for within my budget range. Any idea on if this is worthwhile or would I be wasting my money on this saltwater item? I'm thinking it might not be worth it since it seems the SWG systems are pretty pricey.

Might just stick with the regular 3/4Hp krystal clear w/ 16" filter.

Might I ask why you think your sand filter was faulty?
What model is it?

last year I bought a xtremepowerUS 13" sand filter/pump combo. I set it up to manufacturer specs, best I could based on the limited manufacturers instructions. Had nothing but issues - sand would make its way through the filter and back into the pool - Also had a problem with gnats & gnat sized bugs getting back through as well.

I was here on forums asking for help to make sure I didn't set it up wrong and was asking if these particles were typical for a sand filter - as far as them making it through the media. I was also in touch with the manufacturer. They sent me another valve, but that did not fix the issue, so I ended up just sending it back.

Thanks Poolgate! By the way, I see that Intex has a Sand Filter + Saltwater System for within my budget range. Any idea on if this is worthwhile or would I be wasting my money on this saltwater item? I'm thinking it might not be worth it since it seems the SWG systems are pretty pricey.

The big benefit of a saltwater pool is it creates its own chlorine. That removes a lot of buying and lugging liquid chlorine. I think price-wise it is about a wash. I would never have anything but saltwater. SWG cells last 5-7 years and then wear out and you buy a new one. So factor that in. Also keep in mind you'll be running your pump longer as chlorine only gets created when the pump is running and the SWG is on. If you already run it 24x7 then it's no issue.

Reactions: Mdragger88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

You would want the one that has the swg that is rated for 15k gallons if your pool is 8k gal.

You would want the one that has the swg that is rated for 15k gallons if your pool is 8k gal

I'm just more uncertain if that one in particular is worth even trying since regular SWG are so much more expensive, this seems too good to be true. A pump/filter/swg combo for barely more than a pump/filter.

I'm just more uncertain if that one in particular is worth even trying since regular SWG are so much more expensive, this seems too good to be true. A pump/filter/swg combo for barely more than a pump/filter.
I have owned 3 separate intex swg’s & multiple separate intex pump/filters.
They all served me well for what I paid & what I expected from them.
They are not as long lasting (most last a few years before needing a new cell or total replacement)
nor do they offer the same chlorine output as a regular full sized swg (pentair, circupool, hayward etc.) but they also don’t carry the same price tag. They have their place in the market & do in fact create the chlorine that they advertise.
The combo swg/pump/filter intex units can be had for a good deal - the caveat is that if one component fails you may need to replace the entire thing rather than just one component depending on what is wrong with it. Be sure you’re comparing apples to apples - same sized pump, filter, & swg.
The intex swg units can only run 11 hours a day - there is no percentage setting.
The average daily fc loss in an algae free residential pool is roughly 2-4ppm/day.
Here’s what the 15k gal rated intex unit should be able to produce in that time in your 8k gallon pool volume
B61583F4-07BC-4F29-90C0-357B87202FEA.png
Should be plenty,
the smaller 7k gal rated unit would only provide 1/2 that per day leaving you to supplement in the peak of summer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.