Saltwater Conversion

I definitely can't add any liquid chlorine to the pool once we get the SWG- we are trying to get away from chlorine completely b/c of my son. So whichever system I go with definitely needs to be able to use only salt.
You need to understand that a 'saltwater' pool is still a chlorine pool. The Saltwater CHLORINE Generator creates chlorine from the salt, which when oxidized by UV or organics, returns to a salt in the pool water.

I suspect the issue in the past was with Chloramines, not chlorine. Most issues people have with pools is because the pool water is under chlorinated. Allowing the buildup of chloramines. Those are irritating to skin and eyes.

Reactions: Mdragger88
my new pool is 15,000 gallons and the old one was 6,800.
So the old unit will have to chlorinate 2.2X the water. If the old runtime was 12 hours hour less, then you could double it to 24 hours and be ok. (Minus energy costs to run the pump 24/7)
Would this mean that I'd need to add salt more frequently?
It will be a similar frequency but likely twice as much when you do.
The intex system has the option for up to 15,000 gallons.
Systems are rated for 24 hour runtime. Going with 2X means it'll produce the same FC in 12 hours. 3X in 8 hours. Etc.

Down south with crazy UV, it may not keep up on particularly warm seasons at 1X and you may need to supplement the extra with liquid chlorine daily.

Ok! Will post pics soon. Is it this kit? TF-100 Salt Test Kit

I definitely can't add any liquid chlorine to the pool once we get the SWG- we are trying to get away from chlorine completely b/c of my son. So whichever system I go with definitely needs to be able to use only salt.

Salt is chlorine. Exact same stuff. Instead of pouring it out of a jug, you are making it right in your pool

Yes, my new pool is 15,000 gallons and the old one was 6,800. Would this mean that I'd need to add salt more frequently? The intex system has the option for up to 15,000 gallons.

Why are you adding salt?

Salt in a SWCG pool does not get "used up".

The only way salt goes down is though removing water from the pool (either from splash out, or by lowering the water level)

How much salt you need to add depends on how rambunctious your swimmers are, and how much you need to drain your pool.

The CYA buffers the FC so it's less harsh than tap water. None of that other stuff is necessary when it's properly sanitized. The smells and irritations come from being a nasty pool that wasn't maintained.

Outside of biguanide and bromine, both of which are technically toxic (if you're exposed to/ingest enough of it) chemicals just like chlorine, there is NO safe sanitizer besides chlorine. Nothing but these three will ensure your water is free (or as free as possible) from dangerous viruses and bacteria. Trying to go down the path of finding "nontoxic" or mineral products (Frog, residential UV setups, etc) will ultimately put your child at more risk from unsanitary water.

True chlorine sensitivity is extraordinarily rare, and most people with purported sensitivity to it are actually reacting to something else wrong with the water: insufficient sanitizer leading to bacteria growth, algae, totally whacked pH, etc. A properly balanced pool with the right pH, FC, and CYA levels will leave you with water that's less harsh than what comes out of the taps fed by most municipal water supplies.

A properly balanced outdoor pool should NEVER smell like harsh chlorine. If it does, that's a good sign something is going astray.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok! Will post pics soon. Is it this kit? TF-100 Salt Test Kit

Salt pools are chlorine pools.
Avoid the frog 🐸!!
A properly chlorinated pool should not be irritating.

Reactions: phonedave
This caught my eye, just so you're aware, a SWCG generates chlorine similar to what you would be adding with liquid chlorine. There are people on here far more informed than I am that can add details and I don't know what the exact situation is with your son...just wanted to make sure someone let you know that a "salt pool" is not, in any way, a "chlorine free" pool.

Reactions: phonedave