Saltwater chlorine

tyleraugat

Jul 22, 2023
Kannapolis, NC
Hi,

New to pool ownership. I am using the Taylor K2005 test kit. My free chlorine is reading very red. Do I fix this just by reducing the Chlorinating percentage? My PB set it at 25% and I already moved it down to 20% but now i am going to reduce it to 15%. Is this normal or is there something else i should do?

TIA

Yes, to reduce the amount of FC produced by your SWG, you lower the SWG output and/or pump run time. But you're not receiving an accurate FC number with just the Taylor OTO viewer. You need the FAS-DPD. The FAS-DPD converts your K-2005 to a K-2006. Once you test with that kit, then you can take the (accurate) FC result, coupled with your CYA, and go to the FC/CYA Levels to see if your FC is in the proper range.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: Bperry
Hi,

New to pool ownership. I am using the Taylor K2005 test kit. My free chlorine is reading very red. Do I fix this just by reducing the Chlorinating percentage? My PB set it at 25% and I already moved it down to 20% but now i am going to reduce it to 15%. Is this normal or is there something else i should do?

TIA
The chlorine may not be very high depending on how much CYA is in the water. Get the fas-DPD kit as mentioned above and also check your CYA level so you can check actual numbers instead of judging by shades of yellow and red.

Yes, to reduce the amount of FC produced by your SWG, you lower the SWG output and/or pump run time. But you're not receiving an accurate FC number with just the Taylor OTO viewer. You need the FAS-DPD. The FAS-DPD converts your K-2005 to a K-2006. Once you test with that kit, then you can take the (accurate) FC result, coupled with your CYA, and go to the FC/CYA Levels to see if your FC is in the proper range.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for the advice. Is this the kit you are talking about?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.