Salt water generator/which one?

I am currently considering using my pool water for my next exchange or at least 100 gals of it (my pool cya is 80’s) since I am about to drain several inches for closing & I am about due for an exchange before the weather gets too cold.
Ack, I didn't know I could do this. Thanks for sharing this. Already filled the new spa and closing pool shortly but will try that when pool opens up again and need to drain, purge, and refill. Love getting tips!

Ok, a little update on this whole Saltron Mini thing. Mdragger88 mentioned he (she) (not sure sorry) had a timer set up on the Saltron, I was having trouble getting mine the way I wanted it as I would have to run it about 7 hours (to much?) to get my fc up but by the time it was time to run again the fc was down to about 2 1/2, a little low. SO..... with my set up all out in the open in the elements I did not want a plug in timer. I did a little research and found a hard wired timer that would mount in a electric box, so I took off my single gang box and installed a 2 gang box, installed the timer that runs the top half of the outlet and just left the bottom on all the time to plug something else in if wanted. So I have my timer set to be on from 10am to 4 pm, and then again from 10pm to 4am which allows me to run the saltron twice a day up to 6 hours each (set for 4 hrs twice a day now) and not be running at the times we are usually in the tub. ;-)

IMG_8734.JPG

IMG_8733.JPG

IMG_8736.JPG

You only need the timer to remove the power for a short time- mine just goes off for 30 minutes (you can make this be as long as you like ) this way if i want to press the down button & run the unit to get some fc now, I can at any time (except those two 30 minute intervals when there is no power)
I keep my box set to 1 hour - during high use times (winter) i will either add another interval or change the box to 2 hrs. Just like with a pool swg - you want it to maintain, so a couple hours 2 or three times a day should do the trick without spiking fc way up & then allowing it to fall way back down before the swg comes on again. Dose to target with liquid chlorine- then let it maintain.

You only need the timer to remove the power for a short time- mine just goes off for 30 minutes (you can make this be as long as you like ) this way if i want to press the down button & run the unit to get some fc now, I can at any time (except those two 30 minute intervals when there is no power)
I keep my box set to 1 hour - during high use times (winter) i will either add another interval or change the box to 2 hrs. Just like with a pool swg - you want it to maintain, so a couple hours 2 or three times a day should do the trick without spiking fc way up & then allowing it to fall way back down before the swg comes on again. Dose to target with liquid chlorine- then let it maintain.
My timer has 2 "on" times per day but has an override button if I want it on for a little bit. If I remember you have a smaller tub than I, mine is 450 gal, I'll have to play with it a bit to get it dialed in .

Reactions: Mdragger88
I imagine somewhere around 5- 6 hours a day total would probably be sufficient for you. It took me about a week to figure out my jam. I don’t try to make it replace all my fc loss from bather waste/use - just standby loss really. If its just me & I do a quick 30 minute soak It’s usually fine & minimum doesn’t get broached before the swg comes on again but if my hubby or kids get in too I dose with bleach after. I always test before getting in so I know where I stand with fc & ph & can judge my need for bleach/dichlor afterwards. At first I tested before & after but now I can gauge what will happen based on use.

Reactions: A.O.
Ok, a little update on this whole Saltron Mini thing. Mdragger88 mentioned he (she) (not sure sorry) had a timer set up on the Saltron, I was having trouble getting mine the way I wanted it as I would have to run it about 7 hours (to much?) to get my fc up but by the time it was time to run again the fc was down to about 2 1/2, a little low. SO..... with my set up all out in the open in the elements I did not want a plug in timer. I did a little research and found a hard wired timer that would mount in a electric box, so I took off my single gang box and installed a 2 gang box, installed the timer that runs the top half of the outlet and just left the bottom on all the time to plug something else in if wanted. So I have my timer set to be on from 10am to 4 pm, and then again from 10pm to 4am which allows me to run the saltron twice a day up to 6 hours each (set for 4 hrs twice a day now) and not be running at the times we are usually in the tub. ;-)

View attachment 460686

View attachment 460685

View attachment 460687
I saved the picture of timer and plug in the box for my electrician.

Reactions: A.O. and Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.