mumgoa

Jul 13, 2015
Novi/MI
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello folks,

I was giving a thought to convert to salt water next spring due to the headache of manual chlorine addition. It is a gunite 16 x 32 with approx, 28K gallon capacity . A new Raypak heater was installed in 2021

Not sure about the underground plumbing material.

I do have a Pentair single speed pump which is running well, so looking for a right capacity SWG that I can use with single speed pump for 8- 9 hours a day or so

a) What are the steps? I will get a quote from a contractor to get this done
b) Any issues to look out for with current equipment, plumbing, or pool shell?

Thanks,

If you would ever consider pool automation, your automation controller, your variable speed pump (which you will eventually own) and your SWG should all be of the same brand, so that they can all "talk" to each other. Pool automation systems are proprietary and, for the most part, pool equipment manufacturers don't allow other brands to integrate with their systems.

If you are sure that you will never have pool automation, than you're shopping for a good stand-alone system. I think many here like CircuPool for that.

The capacity for your SWG should be at least double that of your pool. So, for example, were you to buy a Pentair SWG, you'd want the IC40 or IC 60, not the IC20.

An SWG will not affect your pool finish or plumbing or equipment, they are all able to handle the slight increase of salinity your SWG will require. Besides, unless you regularly replace your pool water, all chlorine pools are already salt water pools, as salt tends to build up over time (it's a byproduct of chlorine, acid and humans), so your pool very likely already has a lot of salt in it. Adding an SWG won't change that much at all, if any.

PS. Regarding any worry about buyer's remorse, no, there won't be any. You'll be kicking yourself that you didn't get one sooner!

Last edited:
Thanks, Dirk

Pentair IC40 produces 1.4 lb of Chlorine per day and IC60 does 2 pounds a day. For my size (approx, 26800 gallons), will either be OK to run 8 hours a day on single speed pump like I do today and get the FC I need - between 5 and 7 PPM for a recommened CYA of 40 t0 50

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.